Celtic defender Glenn Loovens has lost his appeal against a one-match ban for his challenge on Rangers midfielder Maurice Edu last season.

The 25-year-old Dutchman will now miss Saturday's Scottish Premier League match at home to Motherwell.

Loovens had appeared before the Scottish Football Association appeals panel on Thursday to state his case.

He had caught Edu with his studs after making a clearance during Celtic's 1-0 defeat by Rangers on 9 May.

Referee Craig Thomson, in the headlines for not awarding Celtic an Old Firm penalty at the weekend, missed the incident but referred it to the SFA's review panel after watching television footage.

The one-game ban was announced in August, but the Dutch international's challenge allowed him to play in the opening league game of the season at Aberdeen and he has since been waiting for an appeal date to be set.

Celtic assistant manager Mark Venus last month accused the SFA of lacking professionalism over the delay in organising the hearing.

Loovens said at the time of the review panel's involvement: "I really don't know what all the fuss is about.

"I'm a hard player but also fair.

"I just went in for the ball and at some point my leg had to come down to land on the ground.

"Edu went off for treatment and I spoke to him as soon as he came back on. I said sorry, asked if he was okay and he told me he was fine."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8291288.stm