Before I start 3 points.

1) Yes, there are other players more deserving of abuse. If you believe that to be the case, start a thread on said player. This is discuss a particular player and issue.

2) I fully admit I start this thread because he is in direct competition with a player I rate, but bear in mind the levels of abuse him and Boyd receive (Boyd gets about 1000x as much abuse) whilst also acknowledging Boyd costs us about 1/10 what Lafferty did.

3) The main reason for starting this is from reading continual bollocks on FF, but if I posted this particular thread there it wouldn't last 2 seconds.

Lafferty is plain crap. He is tall, but poor in the air. He can't time his jumps and too often jumps with his arms giving away "obvious" fouls (I disagree, but we'll look at it from a ref's point of view) much the same as Boyd.

Taking the St Johnstone game as a good example, he is off side far too often, often through lazy play. I.e. just not walking back onside after the last attack.

His touch is poor.

Why is he untouchable? Why does Boyd get so much stick. What do we expect from a man who cost �£400k whilst ignoring the failings of a player who cost nigh on 10x that amount.

Is Boyd lazy? Or is he just lacking in athletic ability and just plain not very good? But does he at least hit the back of the net. Why does a man who cost us not much (a reflection of his quality, lets be honest) and who not many rate get so much abuse, yet another player who cost almost 10 times the amount and is supposedly blessed with an abundance of abilities afforded so much good will from the fans?

I'm not saying Lafferty is a terrible player. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential. But he has in no way developed into a decent striker yet. We were absolutely mugged by Burnley (I think). Almost �£4mil for a player who is that "rough". It's a fucking shambles.

Boyd rightly gets stick for his contribution at times. But is it that much worse than, Miller (sometimes yes), Naismith, Lafferty and Novo (Over his Gers career most certainly yes)? On a game by game basis, no.

If Lafferty, or any of our other forwards for that matter, were this Drogba-esque striker then fair enough. Quite frankly i'm back to the point where the man who knows where the back of the net is starts every game and we accept it wont happen every game.

Speaking of our other strikers. Miller was twice played in on the left hand side of the box (whilst it still mattered) and was a complete shite bag, even he has no confidence in his shooting ability. Even Novo, a man of little natural ability, would have pulled the trigger. Miller wasted the opportunities.

I'm not extolling the virtues of Boyd. I'm just pointing out all our forwards are sadly lacking in numerous areas, so lets play the one who has the biggest plus of all. Goals!

Edited by Super_Ally

Apart from his deft touch for their 2nd goal, has he touched the ball tonight?

Our worst signing since Sebo? Based mostly on the fee.

Don't get me wrong. He has some characteristics that suggest he will develop into a reasonable striker at SPL level.

But right now, what he offers is mostly fuck all. Yet to read FF, particularly while we awaited his return from injury, he was the messiah. He was going to carry us to the title, take Miller's role as the lone striker, replicate Boyd's scoring feat and become the all round forward.

I just don't see it.

Atm, he is fourth best striker at the club. At best.

Our worst signing since Sebo? Based mostly on the fee.

Don't get me wrong. He has some characteristics that suggest he will develop into a reasonable striker at SPL level.

But right now, what he offers is mostly fuck all. Yet to read FF, particularly while we awaited his return from injury, he was the messiah. He was going to carry us to the title, take Miller's role as the lone striker, replicate Boyd's scoring feat and become the all round forward.

I just don't see it.

Atm, he is fourth best striker at the club. At best.

To be fair to Lafferty, he's had shit luck with injuries and has had no rhythm. However, he's never filled me with any confidence. I reckon it would take Lafferty 2 and a half seasons to score what Boyd can score in a season - approx. 25 goals.

Was the OP about Lafferty ? Or Boyd ? :fish:

Ha ha. Both.

One is a very poor forward who is treated like he's the second coming. One is a very poor forward who scores goals like his life and the life of his wife and kids depends upon it and is treated like he raped one of your family members.

Add in what each of them cost Rangers and therefore how much of your money as a dedicated fan pays his wages and explain to me why I seem to have an opinion that almost no one agrees with?

I'm a reasonably intelligent man, but on this discussion I appear to be the dumbest man in the world (or on Gersnet at least).

(No quoting that last bit you bastards :P)

I appear to be the dumbest man in the world (or on Gersnet at least).

(No quoting that last bit you bastards :P)

Glad you noticed :D

Personally I think Lafferty has the characteristics to be a very good player for us, but he needs a consistent run of games.

However, Boyd too should be getting games (however, his form of late has made it easy to leave him out) as he is our only consistent goal threat.

Boyd doesnt deserve nearly as much criticism as he gets and I dont think Lafferty has had a decent enough run for him to be too heavily criticised either.

See, I responded without so much as mentioning any player other than the two you mentioned - that was TOUGH !

:flipa:

Lol.

Surely it's easy to leave Lafferty out on current form too? Equally as bad (if not worse) against St Johnstone, but without the goal. :confused:

I think watching Lafferty you see he could be good. But, putting that to one side, look at what he actually does in a game, and it's not much at all.

Like Davis though he's an Ulster Rangers fan so he doesn't need to play well to get rave reviews.

That's a point actually. For all those who run Boyd down because some of his goals are penalties, ask Davis how easy it is too hit a pressure penalty like the one tonight. Or ask Boyd how hard it is too hit an injury time pressure penalty against Hearts at Tynecastle?

In the recent international v Poland Lafferty was outstanding against Borat and a team of East Europeans at least comparable to Urinea FC. He is not the finished article but why does he play crap for us? Ditto Mendes the new saviour of Portugal. More I think about it the more I see we have some good players: if they were up for sale they would be snapped up by probably EPL clubs. So back to the question why?

Has to be the manager, surely?

No mistake. Last time I felt as humiliated as this was when we got dumped 3-0 in the Texaco Cup by Chesterfield. That far back.

Let's be positive. Start thinking about alternatives to Walter.