If Boyd was being offered a new contract by Rangers his agent would immediately update him. We aren't a complete club of jokers. Come on, any top flight footballer these days will be getting constant updates by agents at the slightest sign of a change.

As Ian says, it is completely reasonable to think that he hasnt been informed of initial discussions.

I dont get where you suggest we arent a complete club of jokers. Rangers would approach his agent (as you yourself seem to agree) and it is then up to the agent to inform the player. Rangers have done what they need to do in the first instance which is set about negotiations. Seems they did that.

There is no formal connection between the club and the agent.

If Boyd hasn't been informed then it looks likely that is because his agent hasnt informed him and given the agent isnt a representative of RFC I dont see why the club would be seen as the jokers anyway. Obviously this assumes you take Bain's comments at face value.

I tend to not agree with you about the constant updates. Bain said that they had started negotiations, that could simply mean they have requested from the agent what Boyd would be looking for or even to simply request a meeting with player and agent.

It could also just be a timing issue in that RFC had spoken to agent and by the time Boyd was asked the question he hadnt been informed by his agent that talks had begun.

I am not saying any of the above is, in fact, the case but there are certainly plausible reasons that RFC and Boyd would have a differing perspective without it being contentious.

You're joking yeah?

Sorry missed this...

Nah I wasn't joking but I agree it is unlikely. I think though that Bain making something up in front of shareholders to a question that was inevitable is equally unlikely.

As such, there must be a reason for the conflicting information. Several players allow their agent complete freedom when it comes to negotiations while others players conduct the negotiations themselves (e.g. Papac IIRC). Therefore, the fact Bain alluded to these negotiations being at a very early stage means perhaps the agent didn't feel it worthy of speaking with the player.

I don't think there's too much point dissecting what comes out the club because 99% is BS. I just felt that if any negotiations had started then Boyd would definitely know about it. Also, you'd think that if anyone asked him he'd speak to his agent before commenting. Then again, we have some daft and conflicting comments coming out the club all the time so who really knows.

My money's on Bain speaking shyte personally...

I don't think there's too much point dissecting what comes out the club because 99% is BS. I just felt that if any negotiations had started then Boyd would definitely know about it. Also, you'd think that if anyone asked him he'd speak to his agent before commenting. Then again, we have some daft and conflicting comments coming out the club all the time so who really knows.

My money's on Bain speaking shyte personally...

Boyd could also have been being rather clever himself. Denying all knowledge puts more pressure on the club to expedite said talks... :whistle:

Kris Boyd will not accept a deal from Rangers which would see him on a “pay per play” deal, according to reports in the BBC today.

The hugely successful Rangers hitman is not seen as a high priority player and the club have said that he is likely to be offered a “new deal but not on the same basic wage”.

But Boyd is apparently unwilling to accept the reduced terms while his stock remains high, with other clubs tempted by his prolific goal-scoring record with the Scottish giants.

He has scored over 100 goals since arriving from Kilmarnock in January 2006 becoming the second highest ever scorer in the SPL behind Henrik Larsson.

Boyd, who earns less than his strike partners Kenny Miller and Kyle Lafferty, has been courted by a number of clubs during his time at Rangers.

He rejected a �£3.8million move to Birmingham in January and more recently turned down �£50,000 a week with Turkish side Trabzonspor. He was also linked with German Bundesliga club Hertha Berlin

With his contract expiring at the end of this season Boyd will be free to move clubs on a Bosman. He will be able to negotiate a deal from January onwards.

Meanwhile Boyd is waiting to find out if the clash of heads during the Old Firm match on Sunday has left him with a fractured eye socket which would keep him out of action for weeks.

Last updated: 06 October 2009, 15:21

I wonder if Rangers will match the alleged �£50,000 or expect KB to take a wage cut, WS has already sown the seeds.

He said: "It's good news we are able to speak to the players who are coming out of contract, the ones we want to keep. That obviously includes Kris. I don't know if we'll be able to make him an attractive enough offer. There are a lot of variables.

"If you pick up the papers, according to them he's been offered an awful lot of money elsewhere. Whether he has or not, I don't know. But Rangers are in a position now to make him an offer when we weren't able to before.

"At least we are ahead in that respect. But whether it will be enough or not remains to be seen."

Surely nobody offered Boyd 50k a week. That's crazy

Yeah, I find that figure unlikely as well.

I actually would like to see Rangers move to a performance related pay model where applicable for the bulk of our playing staff.

Low basics supplemented with PRP for goals, clean-sheets and appearances as well as other OPTA-based stats is an interesting concept IMO.

Unfortunately key players like Boyd (for he is a key player) would probably be immune to accepting riskier contracts like those.

I was about to say the same thing Frankie.

A performance related salary structure should encourage the players to perform better. The only downside is that the better players in the squad (and Boyd is one from a goals perspective) would be able to get a far better basic wage elsewhere and they would be likely to walk given the guarantee of that basic wage.