There is the dream of Europe: Thousands of fans line the streets of Glasgow, Scotland, cheering wildly as the team bus makes its way to Ibrox Stadium. In the stands, 30,000 Rangers supporters are waiting, giddy with appreciation as the players make their triumphant stroll around the field. In the middle of it all, two American stars wave the U.S. flags that some folks in the crowd just handed to them, as if the Scottish Premier League championship they've just helped deliver were as important as the liberation of Paris.

Then again, there is the reality of Europe: It's Christmastime, and Ibrox is filled for Rangers vs. Celtic, one of the fiercest rivalries in all of sports, so intense and profitable that it's known as the Old Firm. But the home team just lost, and those Rangers fans are angry. "Disgraceful," they're saying. "Absolute shite." As for the two Americans? They could do nothing about it. Because they're injured, or had been injured and lost their starting spot. Or they're not injured but aren't training well. Or they are training well, but ... who the hell knows? Bottom line, they're not playing. And the longer they don't play, the more they see that other dream -- the one about playing for the U.S. in the 2010 World Cup -- slowly slipping away.

This, right now, is the world of DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu and, at various times, of nearly every other American who has played soccer for a European club. Best of times. Worst of times. A tale of two continents.

Full article :

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/4754688/ce/us/road-international-success-players-maurice-edu-damarcus-beasley-europe-good-team-usa?cc=5739&ver=global

The way i see it with Beasley is he must've heard some vile abuse over the last 19 months. He was scapegoated and ridiculed and called the worst waste of money we'd ever spent by some.

Now he's fit he has a point to prove and i kind of wonder what shirt he is playing for.

Why should he show loyalty to the (minority?) of fans who shouted at him for doing nothing for nearly 2 years? Answer, they have payed his wages.

I think he has his sights set on a U.S.A world cup place and thats why he is playing like he is now.

He obviously was restricted because of injury before, but boy is he making up for it now.

This is the real Beasley. This is the one who was signed by PSV from Chicago, and this is the one who Man City saw something in.

If he can stay fit and continues to play the way he is, i won't exagerate when i say he'll be up there for the player of the year awards.

BUT and it's a MASSIVE BUT, can he stay fit? Because as all Rangers fans know, he has a horrendous medical record.

Don't think he should get POTY ahead of Boyd and McGregor if they all maintain their form from now. The American would only have played half a season. I know that has previously been enough for McGeady and Maloney to scoop the leagues POTY awards, but we have credibility at Rangers. ;)

Don't think he should get POTY ahead of Boyd and McGregor if they all maintain their form from now. The American would only have played half a season. I know that has previously been enough for McGeady and Maloney to scoop the leagues POTY awards, but we have credibility at Rangers. ;)

Not forgetting the incredible decision to give the POTY award to Clodwell over Bougherra :(

yeah, but i did say "up there". So, i don't actually think he'll win it. What i'm really saying is IF he can maintain the form he has shown, even if it is to win a place in the U.S.A squad, he will be perhaps a contender for an award.

Would be good, as it would mean he is playing out his skin which could only assist us in retaining the league title:spl:

DaMarcus Beasley is playing for a WC slot. There is no doubt about that. We've not exactly treated him that well, which has led to poor form from him.

Now he has something to play for. He is playing for the US national jersey.

As I've said many times, he's not the best winger in the world but is still a talented player and considering the dire performances we've seen in the wide areas in recent seasons, it's beggers belief that someone with near 100 caps for America has barely had a look in.