Bougherra�s prize pledge

MADJID BOUGHERRA collected the Algerian player of the year award last night ...

then repeated his intention to see out the rest of the season at the Ibrox club, writes Thomas Jordan.

The Rangers defender has been linked with a return to the Premiership during the January transfer window, but said he is ââ?¬Å?200 per centââ?¬Â committed to trying to help Rangers defend their SPL title this season.

He said: ââ?¬Å?The Premier League is my objective. In terms of motivation and desire, I think I have the qualities to play there.

ââ?¬Å?With which club, I donââ?¬â?¢t know. However, I feel I have the potential because I have already played there.

ââ?¬Å?Now, if I leave Rangers, it would have to be to a club with ambitions. I have learned how to win trophies and titles and I want more.

ââ?¬Å?I donââ?¬â?¢t think I could play for a club that has nothing to play for. It is clear that Iââ?¬â?¢ll finish the season. We will see what the future holds. But Iââ?¬â?¢m 200 per cent staying with Rangers for now.ââ?¬Â

is anyone else sick of Boughie hoaring himself to the prem every minute he can get ,

really starting to get on my goat same every few seasons we get a great defender which simply doesnt want to be here

i really want players commited to the cause and these player should realise the grass isnt always greener

and if a prem clubs comes in for boughie it aint gonna be a top4 side , i think he thinks he's a better player than he is.

if i was walter id try punt him in january

I hate his touting too - but I would rather we kept him for what is a crucial championship race for us. If the Tims spend money in Jan and we still go on to win the title then the balance of financial power could tilt our way in the sense that they would be spending whilst we would be collecting CL money - the swing could be significant - even in simplistic terms we wouldbe collecting, say, 10 million CL money whilst Celtic likely wouldn't make the CL. On top of that they quite conceivably could spend 4 or 5 mill in Jan - that is a 15 mill swing in financial fortune.

It still leaves us with debt (if no buyer is found) but the financial landscape would be much more even.

Given how significant this season's SPL campaign is to us I would rather we kept our best players, of which Bougherra is undoubtedly one. However, I would still sell him at season's end as he obviously wants to go to the EPL for next season anyway - and we should seal that sale EARLY in the window so as to have the appropriate amount of time to replace him (and Weir.....)

He's definitely more likely to move on in the summer, but you'd imagine that he'll be getting watched at the World Cup, so that'll mean that bids for him are likely to be after the World Cup or at least after the Group stage if Algeria don't progress. Their last group game is on the 23rd June, so end of June/beginning of July is probably the earliest that any moves would be made for Bougherra. There's quite a lot of football to played between now & then though so Bougherra had better start behaving better and make sure he returns home on time from the African Cup of Nations or there won't necessarily be any EPL clubs interested in him at all.

I'm not sure selling early as possible is best. Sure have the replacement lined up asap, but we have to play the game of chicken in terms of getting his value up. I'm not saying leave it to the last minute, but trying to strike at the right time to gget the best fee.