Walter Smith: a tactical revolutionary?

Guest therabbitt

Guest therabbitt

A new blog that I wrote today, give it a click smile.gif

http://therabbitt.wordpress.com/2009/12/30/walter-smith-a-tactical-revolutionary/

Here's a little taster of the opening gambit...

There has been several times last season and this season that I�ve found myself watching Rangers and seen Madjid Bougherra steaming forward and in effect being the most creative and driven Rangers player on the park.

Iââ?¬â?¢ve often thought that Smith et al are probably standing at the sidelines with their hands to their heads and an internal monologue of ââ?¬Å?here we go again, lets just hope he doesnââ?¬â?¢t Amorusoââ?¬Å?. More often than not however, heââ?¬â?¢s been our knight in shining armour though; itââ?¬â?¢s like thereââ?¬â?¢s a switch in his head and once heââ?¬â?¢s had enough of whatââ?¬â?¢s happening in front of him he just dashes off like a Viking marauding off to raid a village.

You only need to think about his goal against Stuttgart (ââ?¬Å?heââ?¬â?¢s-away-ach-heââ?¬â?¢s-not-going-to-is-he?pass!go-on-then-big-man-he-wonââ?¬â?¢t-he-is-what-a-strike!GOAL!ââ?¬Â were my exact words) and his cross for Miller last week as examples of him getting forward and enforcing his influence on the game.

Is this purely Mr Bougherra having enough of what he see�s infront of him and deciding that he is off to take matters into his own hands, or is it maybe a little more by tactical design of Walter Smith and in football in general?

I believe the latter.

The concept of Walter Smith being a tactical revolutionary or even to be keeping up with the JosÃ?©ââ?¬â?¢s in modern football is something that will have many taking a sharp intake of breath. Heââ?¬â?¢s been branded a dinosaur, a traditionalist and far too stuck in his ways to even think about playing the game the ââ?¬Å?modern wayââ?¬Â. I like to think differently and the role of Madgid Bougherra at Rangers is the perfect example of why I think I am right.