Meltin' Mowbray v Cool Hand Smith

As far as I'm concerned, Walter Smith is the Rangers legend of my lifetime. I still remember Derek Johnstone handing out the prizes at a BB display in the 70s, I still remember Ally Dawson being held up as an example for we Johnstone High kids to follow into pro football (unkindly, perhaps, the line was 'if he can make it, so can you'), I still recall the time Coisty touched my shoulder in MacVid - one for the older fan, there - and said 'Scuse me, mate,' so he could reach Last Man Standing starring Bruce Willis.

And I still worship the memory of Davie Cooper.

None of these Rangers heroes can match Walter Smith for me, despite the criticism he received and still receives. A lot of it is understandable: a support which can watch the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd is unlikely to be thrilled by the fare we serve up.

But we win, dammit.

And you can have all the cavalier stuff you like: all I want is to see the Rangers captain, come the good weather, lifting silverware. On that score it's hard to argue that Walter Smith has delivered. Add to the haul of Cups the UEFA run to the Final in Manchester, which for all the baggage we took was still unforgettable. I'll always remember watching the quarter final while I was supposed to be at a wedding reception; I'll always remember sitting immobile through the penalty shootout in Florence in case I hexed us by moving. Don't be telling me that the manager had nothing to do with all these memories.

Even more persuasive has been the Old Firm effect since his return to the hotseat. It's just like the old days; sometimes we thrash them, other times we are pummelled but still sneak a win or a draw. Compare the great man's aura with that of his embattled counterpart across the city, Tony Mowbray. I happen to think he's a good football coach with an unfortunate (for them) failure to consider defending a part of the game. If they're willing to stick with a manager who divides his support to the extent that Mowbray is doing, good luck to 'em. I prefer the man who gets results, no matter how.

I still recall the putative 10 in a row season, saying to my pal Jim that we were coming to the end of a Golden Age. While Walter can't be accused of bringing back that sort of dominance, he's not only a link with that era he is also the only man I can think of who has the experience and class to drag what is, frankly, an ordinary side to a level where the glint of silverware is just around the corner.

The upcoming Old Firm game, widely seen as a title decider should we win it, gives a taste of what Smith has done for me at least. I'm quite confident that we will win, either comfortably, or sneakily, or that at worst we shall get a draw which is equally precious in the title race. I could be wrong, of course, and we could go down to defeat - such things do happen. But with Smith at the helm I am confident going into game that we'll win, and confident that should we lose he'll sort things out lickety spit.

You can't ask for much more from your manager than that.