We made a bid for him though... IIRC it was no pocket change that was offered either!

We tried to buy Glenn Loovens as well . Thnkfully Liewell's gazumping failed spectacularly there :spl:

On the contrary I think he would very much fit the bill for a team like Barcelona as a swashbucking centre half who loves to get forward.

He has never been a patch on Cuellar who was quite simply a colossal siege defender but that doesnt make him a bad player. He is by miles the best defender in Scotland and brings a whole lot more to the table than just his ability to defend.

I agree with the majority of what you say here, but what you're suggesting is he's good enough to play for the best team on earth. That he can stand shoulder to shoulder with Alvez, Puyol and Pique etc - I am at best extremely skeptical of this.

He struggled badly in the Emirates Cup, was poor at best in the CL bar a single goal, and while he did extemely well at the ACN, there's a difference between a fairly weak national team championship, and doing it in La Liga for a team as good as Barcelona.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

As I said already Walter will pull a defensive rabbit out of the hat if he does go so Im none too fussed about it.

Walter does have the eye for a defender - Weir, Cuellar, Ehiogu, Broadfoot, Whittaker, Dailly, and Bougherra have all been successes by and large. So I agree that he can find a decent replacement - but I think I'd rather he didn't have to.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yes well will have to. I just think that you need to be a certain kind of player to play for a team like that and Bougherra has that 'X Factor' thats required in spades.

He might not get a game every week, but I'd say Bougherra is good enough to play for Barca. I can't see a team of that quality signing him unless he has a cracking World Cup though. The WC this summer is his chance to shine. Part of me hopes he doesn't play too well for Algeria in the hope that he stays here, but at the same time we could really use another �£6m+ transfer.

He might not get a game every week, but I'd say Bougherra is good enough to play for Barca. I can't see a team of that quality signing him unless he has a cracking World Cup though. The WC this summer is his chance to shine. Part of me hopes he doesn't play too well for Algeria in the hope that he stays here, but at the same time we could really use another �£6m+ transfer.

Zappa Zappa - after what the likes of Unirea, Stuttgart and Sevilla did to us at Ibrox, you think Bougherra could handle teams like that on a regular basis?

I don't disagree he can come forward well, but he'd get slaughtered at the back by the likes of Fabiano, C Ron, Villa, and Forlan.

Zappa Zappa - after what the likes of Unirea, Stuttgart and Sevilla did to us at Ibrox, you think Bougherra could handle teams like that on a regular basis?

Danny Danny, Bougherra didn't play in all of our CL home games. :devil:

I don't disagree he can come forward well, but he'd get slaughtered at the back by the likes of Fabiano, C Ron, Villa, and Forlan.

You don't know that for sure! Many players improve significantly when they play in a high quality squad.