Kris Boyd insists he is the man for the big occasion despite years of missing out on crucial matches.

More...

Rangers striker Kris Boyd insists he is the man for the big occasion despite years of missing out on their crucial matches.

Although Boyd has been a regular starter for Gers over the years, he was often overlooked to start their Old Firm clashes and European nights.

The 26-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of the season, was hurt to miss out on the key fixtures and admits he even suspected he would not be given a chance.

Despite the heartache in the past, Boyd is delighted manager Walter Smith has given him a chance of late and he is now relishing taking on arch-rivals Celtic in their final Old Firm meeting of the season.

Hurt

"When I missed out on the big European games and Old Firm matches it really hurt," Boyd told the Daily Record.

"It hurt me a lot to be on the bench or, worse still, up in the stand. I wanted to play. I love my football.

"I'd look at the fixture list and see a run of games against Falkirk, St Mirren and Motherwell and think it was great because I'd be playing.

"But two weeks down the line there might have been a European game and a game against Celtic and I knew the manager wouldn't select me. I knew only I could do something about it.

"I've worked hard to show I deserve to play in those games and the manager has now given me an opportunity.

"Yes, I've missed chances in big games, there's no doubt about that. I've also been denied by some brilliant goalkeeping.

"But I know the goals will come for me against Celtic and in Europe. I'm getting into good positions and I will get that little bit of luck."

Unless he's getting in another excuse for moving? I.e. complaining he often missed out on the big matches. One of the main benefits of staying at Rangers rather than moving South is to play in Old Firm and European games, but if you're not being picked for those matches.....