Queen of the South

Well let's face it we only have one team really , even if we wanted to rest all out top players I dont know if we would have enough to make another team..............aint sarcasim great

That was my question though Zappa, was it first team or a Rangers select XI and the question is long answered anyway.

Only positive to come out of pre-season so far may be the return of Andy Webster. Could be a useful player if he stays fit and shows his Hearts form.

ANDY WEBSTER was back in a Rangers shirt for the first time in almost three years yesterday - and hopes he's there to stay.

The defender made his first start since his successful loan at Dundee United as Gers beat Queens in Jim Thompson's testimonial thanks to Kenny Miller's strike.

It was his first game for the Light Blues since he scored in his only other appearance - a 4-0 win over Gretna in September 2007.

A series of injuries and loss of form following his move from Wigan in January 2007 had restricted his chances.

But Webster hopes to make the most of his return to the champs. He said: "It isn't an issue the last time I played for Rangers - you just deal with it and get on with it.

"I was just glad to get out there, be back amongst the boys and back to that sort of level playing football.

"It was hard before but I am getting a buzz going into this season.

"After being on loan at United last season, it is a clearer picture for me now."

Webster claimed a Scottish Cup winner's medal with the Arabs last season and wants more glory with the Light Blues. He said: "Once last season finished, I started looking ahead to this season.

"I am hungry for more silverware - you want more when you get a taste of it and obviously being at Rangers you get a chance to win silverware."

Webster, 28, admitted partnering old Scotland pal Davie Weir in defence at Palmerston helped ease his comeback.

He said: "I've played with big David before and he is a top-quality player. It made things easier for me going back in."

Rangers were given a real workout ahead of their trip to Australia.

They fielded their strongest side possible, with just World Cup stars Madjid Bougherra and Maurice Edu missing.

And the sight of a bench full of kids illustrated just how threadbare Walter Smith's squad is.

The midfield had a slightly different feel from last season with Steve Davis in the centre alongside Lee McCulloch and Stevie Naismith and Steven Whittaker on the flanks.Kyle Lafferty partnered Miller up front in what is likely to be Gers' main pairing for the new season.

The Ibrox men had plenty of chances to bury Queens but home keeper Roddy McKenzie continually thwarted them until he had to go off after being clobbered by Sasa Papac in the 33rd minute.

Advertisement

That saw Doonhamers assistant boss Neil Scally take over in goal until Gers boss Smith loaned them his No2 keeper Neil Alexander at half-time. And Alexander could do nothing to prevent Miller from clipping the ball home from 10 yards in the 55th minute for the only goal.

Webster admits their squad is thin but reckons it could be the chance for some of the youngsters to shine.

He said: "In years gone by it has been difficult for players to get an opportunity such was the size of the first-team squad.

"But there is a lot of quality with the younger players and they might get an opportunity. It was a good test for us and I thought it was quite a good standard.

"It is nice to get on the pitch after you've done all the hard work in pre-season and it was a good workout."

Doonhamers boss Kenny Brannigan joked that he hoped to keep hold of keeper Alexander.

He said: "We have three keepers injured so it would be nice if we could extend the loan deal.

"It was actually Walter who suggested we could use Neil and that was great."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3059065/Queen-of-the-South-0-Rangers-1.html#ixzz0u50eiaIe

That was my question though Zappa, was it first team or a Rangers select XI and the question is long answered anyway.

That wasn't your question at all though. You asked if it was the first pre-season game or a game for the kids which isn't exactly the same question. Never mind. :whistle: