Guest Flying Hippo

I like 4-2-3-1 but regardless of formation, i'm still not keen on Edu and McCulloch both playing. Davis could quite easily play as a holding midfielder. Spain proved with Xabi Alonso that you can have a playmaker sit in front of the defence. Man Utd do it now too with Scholes

My preferred line up if going 4-2-3-1:

McGregor

Whittaker Bougherra Weir Papac

Davis Edu

Miller Naismith Weiss

Jelavic

Edited by Flying Hippo

I like the look of that FH.

One thing I have been impressed with in pre-season and last week's game is how adept Naismith is at breaking beyond the defence from deep. His timing in that regard has been sublime - you only need to look at his goal against Newcastle and then his one against Killie last week for proof. If he sits in behind a main striker and can time his runs as well as he has been then he could be a real weapon.

Plus, I like the idea of having basically 4 banks of players. a 4-4-2 leaves your midfield far removed from both your defence and strikers. A 4-2-3-1 has everyone playing reasonably close in terms of length of the pitch - this also could soften the blow of Weir's lack of pace - with Edu & Davis sitting in front they could close down in front od Weir making it an easier task for the OAP.

I don't mind a 4-2-3-1 at all - and it is far less defensive than it sounds if Davis is one of the "2". And Edu is also known to get forward too at times.