MILLER out to repeat 2004 winner against Red Devils at Old Trafford

More...

We Can Shock United

By Andrew Dickson

KENNY MILLER scored a winner against Manchester United nearly seven years ago - and insists either he or one of his Rangers team-mates can do the same tomorrow.

The Ibrox hitman made the difference against the Red Devils in a game for former club Wolves in January 2004 as the Midlands side won 1-0 at Molineux.

Now as he looks ahead to the Light Blues' Champions League opener at Old Trafford against the Premiership side, Miller is out to repeat the feat.

He is one of six players in Walter Smith's squad who have turned out in away sides at the Theatre of Dreams before.

Like the rest, the Scotland star is yet to register a win - but hopes that can change as the SPL title holders look to get their European campaign off to a flyer.

Miller is likely to be deployed in a lone striking role as Smith prepares to field his men in a flexible 4-5-1 formation.

He said: "I hope I can get a winner again. Obviously the manager will pick his team and hopefully I'm in his plans.

"It's going to be tough. You're not going to go to Old Trafford and have the game your own way.

"We are going to have to up our performance levels a lot to match United's ability and their work-rate.

"They are one of the best teams in the world and they work very, very hard. If we carry a little bit of luck, I think we can get a good result.

"It took a lot of effort and a touch of luck to beat United with Wolves. I can remember back to the game and a lot of things went for us that day.

"They had four or five chances they missed whereas we converted ours and I'll take the same again this time."

Edited by Zappa