THEY have ability and technique you can't take your eyes off.

But Valencia midfielder Manuel Fernandes has been well warned those qualities won't be enough against Rangers at Ibrox.

Fernandes, 24, became close pals with former Gers star Mikel Arteta during his loan spell with Everton.

It was there he was told all about the SPL champions.

And Fernandes is in little doubt how tough the La Liga side will get it in Glasgow when they take on Walter Smith's Gers on Wednesday night.

Fernandes said: "We may be technically superior to Rangers, but it is not enough.

"I know a lot of teams who don't always win, despite being technically better.

"For me Barcelona are the best team in the world, but they have already dropped five points at home this season.

"When we go to Glasgow it's about showing the right mentality.

"I know this will be a hugely difficult game for us because Rangers are really starring at home just now.

"They play a type of football which is difficult to cope with.

"They have strong players, are good in the air and are very direct.

"We need to make sure we are ready for that when we go to Glasgow.

"I used to speak a lot with Arteta when we were together at Everton. He always spoke well of Rangers because he loved the club and the whole environment.

"Given what he has told me, I'm presuming we are going to be in for a tough game.

"Rangers are a team who play for each other and give everything on the pitch.

"The defence help them out a lot, so it will be up to us to try and break them down."

Gers showed in their clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford that they can be defensively sound when they want to be.

Manager Smith parked the bus and there was nothing Wayne Rooney and Co could do about it.

Fernandes has nothing but respect for the job Gers did to get their Champions League campaign off to a flier.

But he expects a different approach from the Ibrox men on Wednesday.

He added: "I think this will be a different game from Old Trafford.

"Every team who goes to Manchester doesn't go there with an offensive plan.

"You need to be strong at the back and earn the respect of United.

"Rangers did that, but at home it will be different for them.

"They need to play the game to win in front of their own supporters.

"I'm hoping their style suits us, but if we want to take something we need to match them."

Valencia lost 2-1 to Barca on Saturday night, but they took the lead in the Nou Camp and proved they are genuine title contenders.

Ibrox spy Ian Durrant was at the match and must have sat watching through the cracks in his fingers.

Valencia took the lead through Pablo Hernandez and completely bossed the first half.

Barca were lucky to reach the dressing room at half-time just 1-0 down.

Argentine superstar Lionel Messi hardly got a kick as they toiled.

But after the break the La Liga champions came out fighting and they turned the game on its head.

First Andres Iniesta, fresh from his midweek heroics against Scotland, levelled and then Carles Puyol headed the winner. Valencia put so much effort into the first half they didn't have the legs to claw their way back.

But there was still more than enough on view to worry Rangers. They are a brilliant counter-attacking team.

Valencia also stood tall in the intimidating atmosphere of 90,000 Catalans in the Nou Camp.

Fernandes added: "I am happy, but not 100 per cent because we didn't win.

"I just hope that we can keep this run of good form going and keep improving when we face Rangers.

"I don't think that the atmosphere will be a problem for us in Glasgow. It won't bother us because all we will be concerned about is what happens on the pitch."

Hitman Aritz Aduriz insists Valencia will go all out to get a priceless win at Ibrox.

After losing at home to Manchester United the pressure is on the Spaniards.

Aduriz said: "We need to win in Glasgow, so we will be doing everything to score.

"Losing to Manchester United was a disappointing result for us. They are the favourites in the group, but they did not deserve to win that night.

"With the way things are, we are now fighting for second place in the group with Rangers. That makes this match decisive.

"If we lose it would be a huge blow to our chances of going through to the next stage. That's why our mission is to win on Wednesday.

"Rangers change their style of play when they play in European matches.

"They play on the counter-attack and that is something we will need to be wary of.

"It will be similar to the way Scotland played against Spain at Hampden.

"We got all three points that night, but it was a tough game. I expect the same again at Ibrox, but we believe we can go there and win."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3184484/Skill-to-win-versus-will-to-win.html#ixzz12hGabNNl