SFA vindicate McDonald decision

The SFA were meeting at Hampden today to discuss the "penalty" incident at Tannadice last weekend. In the end, they agreed with the linesman saying it wasn't a penalty.

From the SFA website:

AT its scheduled meeting today at Hampden Park, the Scottish FA�s Referee Committee considered the report from the chief executive, Stewart Regan, into the circumstances surrounding the awarding of a penalty kick to Celtic in the recent Clydesdale Bank Premier League match against Dundee United, and the subsequent overturning of that award.

The committee reached a unanimous view that the overturning of the original decision was correct. The match referee, Dougie McDonald, was present at today�s meeting and admitted that after having blown for an infringement he immediately realised that he may have made an error.

As is appropriate in these circumstances, Dougie, unprompted, decided to approach the assistant referee, Steven Craven, who had assumed the required position for the taking of the penalty. Dougie then asked Steven if he had seen the Dundee United goalkeeper, Dusan Pernis, touch the ball first and Steven confirmed that, in his opinion, the goalkeeper had.

Dougie then communicated to the players that he had made a mistake and restarted the game with a drop-ball, as per the Laws of the Game.

In addition, the investigation identified that the post-match administrative process was not completed to the expected standard. The committee agreed with this point and Dougie has accepted his responsibility in this regard. It should also be noted that, while Dougie ultimately arrived at the correct decision during the match, he was marked-down for the error in awarding a penalty in the first instance in the observer�s report.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA chief executive: ââ?¬Å?Following Steven Cravenââ?¬â?¢s resignation and the circumstances surrounding the overturning of the penalty decision in the match, it was important to thoroughly investigate the matter. I am satisfied with the outcome of todayââ?¬â?¢s meeting and the clarity of the findings.ââ?¬Â

Martin Cryans, Chairman of the Scottish Senior Football Refereesââ?¬â?¢ Association: ââ?¬Å?The pressure placed on referees has intensified in this country in recent years and the last few weeks have highlighted the immense strain placed on our top officials and their families.

ââ?¬Å?The aim now for the SSFRA is to work in tandem with Stewart Regan to help develop a respect initiative.ââ?¬Â

TC67 Today, 3:49 PM Post #2588

Member Avatar

Don't take no guff from those swine

[ * * * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

31 August 2004

I knew the media would give Lennon a few months grace before coming after him.

The fact he had a good start in the league has brought this forward.

What we have is a smear campaign against Celtic and Lennon in particular. Over the last two weeks, when faced with two of the most ridiculous and inconsistent decisions that it's possible to dream up, Lennon did no more than any other manager would have done in the same circumstances. There is not a single manager is Scottish football who has not questioned referees decisions. Not one. Yet you'd be hard pressed to find two such appalling and embarrassing decisions going against any team in successive weeks.

The media talk of a witchhunt of referees. All I see is a circling of the wagons by the usual parties. A whitewashing SFA, current and ex-whistlers, a media spin that would have masters of propaganda from Goebbels to Mandelson applauding in appreciation, and a sage and mellow turn from puppet master the Great Waldo, who magnanimously accepts his portion of blame (to the victor, not only the spoils but control over the writing of history eh?).

There is certainly a witchhunt going on but it's not against referees. Only jim jefferies, as far as I've seen, has offered any kind of backing to Lennon by telling refs to grow up.

The rest o Scottish football should be ashamed of itself. Where is tony higgins and Fraser wishart now or do their union not stick up for managers under siege from a relentless media?

And all they have to say is "paranoid" as if all of Celtic's legitimate issues are figments of the imagination.

Those whom the Huns wish to destroy, first they make mad.

Except now, the case against is burgeoning at the seams. The Internet means that wrongdoing can't be locked away in a dusty drawer. It can be seen and analysed and the dinosaurs of radio phone ins and tabloid hot air can only flounder as their eminent posistions as opinion makers goes down the stank.

The challenge is staring them in the face and they have blinked. Now they are shouting their empty threats and bullscheidt, like a fat, past it boxer at the weigh-in.

Celtic have faced institutional bias and bigotry before and beat it. This will be the biggest fight because the very future of the huns is at stake and reliant on all parties pulling together. Anyone who think "all wee have to do is be better than them" is a bit green behind the ears, pardon the pun.

Toga Toga Today, 4:05 PM Post #2611

Member Avatar

First team training

[ * * * ]

Group:

Members

#25,407

1 February 2010

Favourite all-time player

Henrik of course

Well if we did not know it before, we certainly know it now!

Corrupt secterian carrots...each and every one.

OptimusCheese Today, 4:35 PM Post #2639

Member Avatar

Tell my mother that I never wrote a whack jam.

[ * * * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

#7,158

28 February 2007

Super Nintendo Chalmers

If we don't pull our head out our arse and do summat about this as a club then I truly despair.

It's the fecking whitewash we knew it would be. You've got to admire the brassneck on the stupid, inbred goatshaggers.

echo Today, 4:41 PM Post #2654

Member Avatar

Heart Of Saturday Afternoon

[ * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#4,610

25 August 2006

Hooper was fouled at least once and possibly twice in the box in clear view of the ref and denied a goal scoring opportunity.

We should have had a penalty.

Johnybhoy Today, 4:46 PM Post #2662

Member Avatar

Mr Agent Sarah Walker

[ * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#20,305

27 June 2008

Stilian Petrov

Can’t say i’m surprised one iota by the statement from the HFA.

I posted earlier on today they’d circle the wagons round one of their own in distress. We’ll never get anything off this band of cheats, this gaggle of villains.

Best way to deal with them is to beat them on the park first and foremost.

BUT…

We should be making as much loud noise about these ‘mistakes’ as often as possible. WGAF if the ‘impartial’ press lambast us as paranoid? Not me, not when they are cut from the same blue cloth as their administrative brethren. Even the vilest of regimes fall.

Nixon, Hitler, Musselin and Franco all got their cummupance. The SFA’s downfall will happen, it may take a long time, but never lose faith.

Hail Hail.

Lawbhoy Today, 4:48 PM Post #2663

Member Avatar

First team training

[ * * * ]

Group:

Members

#25,192

17 January 2010

Its the Celtic support who are being cheated here. It is the support who are asked to part with there hard earned cash to watch the team try to win the SPL title. How can they if the SFA and the match officials are doing their best to make sure we dont. Come on Celtic do what needs to be done.

Otis B Driftwood Today, 4:54 PM Post #2671

Member Avatar

Of course I remember the first time I had sex - I still have the receipt.

[ * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#25,838

6 April 2010

Jimmy Johnstone

I know it's water under the bridge, but I had a look back at the Hun's league games in 2002/03. I don't think there's a team anywhere got the run of decisions they got:

Hibs (a): Awarded penalty on stroke of HT with scores at 1-1; Hibs player sent off in second half for contesting Huns’ third goal. MITB: Dallas

Aberdeen (h): Tight match poised at 1-0 to the pigs; Huns awarded penalty inside last 15 minutes, Aberdeen player sent off. MITB: Underhill

Livingston (a): Huns toiling at 0-0; Livingston reduced to ten men; Huns awarded a penalty shortly afterwards. Huns win 2-0. MITB: Clark

Motherwell (h): Motherwell reduced to ten men at 2-0 to the Huns. MITB: Freeland

Dundee (a): Dundee have Khizanishvili sent off at 1-0 to the Scum in a tight game. Huns win 3-0. MITB: Fyfe

Aberdeen (a): Aberdeen go 2-1 ahead with 15 minutes to go; Huns awarded penalty within five minutes of going behind. MITB: Dougal

Hearts (a): Huns leading 1-0 in a tight game; Hearts have Maybury sent off on 58 minutes; Huns awarded penalty with 12 munutes left to make it 2-0, eventually winning 4-0. MITB: Dallas

Livingston (h): Huns leading 4-2 , having been 4-0 ahead; Livingston have Bollan sent off three minutes after Livi’s second goal. Huns scrape home 4-3. MITB: Dougie Stoat-the-ba’ McDonald

Thistle (a): Huns trailing 1-0 for most of the match, equalise with 20 minutes left; Gerry Britton sent off (later rescinded on appeal); Huns score seven minutes later to win 2-1. MITB: Underhill

Dundee (a): Huns trailing 2-1, having already missed two penalties, are awarded a third with five minutes to go. Game finishes2-2. MITB: Rowbotham (baldy cheating bastard).

Aye, it all balances out over a season. :arrr:

Harrybhoy Today, 5:04 PM Post #2686

Occasional Substitute

[ * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#4,120

26 June 2006

I wonder what percentage of the Celtic support would be behind the board if they withdrew from sfa run competitions, I would, so theres one

spyda1967 Today, 5:06 PM Post #2689

I'm new. Be gentle.

Group:

Members

#27,117

21 October 2010

another reason why i show no support for their national side

i urge all celtic fans to do the same

are celtic expected to make a statement with regards this widgery style whitewash

Dianogah Today, 5:11 PM Post #2697

Member Avatar

Kaini Industries

Admin

Group:

Admin

#1,844

12 August 2005

I think we should write some more letters

lesdon67 Today, 5:13 PM Post #2701

Member Avatar

First-team captain

[ * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

#10,169

20 August 2007

I honestly hope that the next words on this matter DO NOT come from Neil Lennon.

I want them to come from Desmond, Reid, Lawwell, Wilson, Riley et al.

Show some baws Celtic and nail these lying bastards once and for all.

bhoy07 30 minutes ago Post #2739

First-team starter

[ * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#21,210

13 August 2008

Henrik Larsson

Celtic should demand the resignation of Hugh Dallas with immediate effect. Also the club should make it clear that as a result of McDonald clearly lying to the Celtic Manager Neil Lennon the club will not participate in any match of which Dougie McDonald is involved in.

The Blessed Martin 30 minutes ago Post #2741

Member Avatar

Getting on a bit

[ * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

19 November 2004

Take it there's no official statement from the club yet? Would love the club to issue a brief statement saying they are still unhappy with the situation and they are talking to the club lawyers. Then those bassa's at the SFA will really know what it's like to be under pressure.

C'mon Celtic get into this shower of cheating lying scum

The Bison 28 minutes ago Post #2745

Member Avatar

First team training

[ * * * ]

Group:

Members

#25,584

17 February 2010

The part i find remarkable is that six people on this commitee where all in agreement that it wasnt a penalty.

If you showed the footage to say six top managers in England i would hazard a guess that at least five would say that it is a stick on penalty.

This is not acceptable and reeks of a consortium of corrupt yes men. Celtics lawyers should be all over this.

SonOfTerry 13 minutes ago Post #2779

Member Avatar

Occasional Substitute

[ * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#9,089

27 June 2007

Lies covered up with more lies all served up on a bed of lies garnished with lies along with a side order of lies. Did any of expect any different, now it's up to Celtic to nail these hallions. They've gave us enough rope to hang them with this time.

In my opinion the boards first directive is to protect the good name of Celtic Football Club, it's fans and it players, managers and staff both past and present.

The board have time and time again failed in this, from allowing the Hun hordes to racially abuse the fans to allowing them to attempt to blacken Big Jocks name all the while seeming silent and oblivious.

They continuously allow the skip rat Scottish media to drag our clubs name through the mud no more so than this week and all the while seeming silent.

Well now is the time to redeem themselves they MUST go to town with this, they must leave no avenue unexplored in nailing these cheats and conmen. This one issue is an insult to Fans, Club, Playing and Management staff.

If they do nothing, each and everyone of them must be sent out the door with their heads hung in shame.

Come on Celtic tear these cretins a new one and do it for every single one of us.

Celticbhoy_07 Today, 3:46 PM Post #2580

Member Avatar

Considering retirement

[ * * * * * * * * * * * ]

Group:

Snr. Member

#9,252

3 July 2007

You couldnt make it up................well you could because thats exactly what they've done!!

Cheating hun bastards. Has Craven already told the media he had nothing to do with the overuling of the penalty? :suspect: yet there statement suggests he told McDonald that Pernis played the ball.

Also are they forgetting the clear obstruction of Gary Hooper that allowed Pernis to reach the ball in the first place :suspect:

This league and country is a fecking disgrace get us out of here Celtic :nono:

A few of my favourite bits, from the first poster:

the case against is burgeoning at the seams

is a bit green behind the ears, pardon the pun.

And another:

Nixon, Hitler, Musselin and Franco all got their cummupance. The SFA’s downfall will happen, it may take a long time, but never lose faith.

Hail Hail.

Comparing the SFA with Hitler and the Nazi's.

Epic fail fail.

THE SFA stand accused of a whitewash after finding referee Dougie McDonald guilty of a cover-up.

The FIFA whistler was let off with a slap on the wrists by Hampden beaks as chief executive Stewart Regan claimed the under-fire official was only trying to PROTECT walkway assistant Steven Craven during his recent controversial penalty U-turn at Tannadice.

McDonald dodged the axe following a meeting of the SFA's Referee Committee at Hampden yesterday but was given a warning for his postmatch version of events after Dundee United's clash with Celtic.

McDonald told the referee supervisor that linesman Craven intervened in his decision to give a spot-kick.

But that was not the case and Craven was going along with the award until the ref himself changed the decision.

Regan insisted McDonald was full of regret at the incident which led to Celtic making an official complaint but claimed he was trying to help out Craven, despite the assistant referee quitting in the aftermath.

Asked outright if McDonald had lied in his post-match report, Regan said: "It's not about lying. It's Dougie trying to protect his assistant.

"Potentially Steven was going to be marked down for getting involved in that particular incident.

"In the post-match report, Steven Craven's role wasn't fully articulated and each of the steps wasn't made clear to the referee observer in the way we'd expect it to be.

"You can call that a lie if you wish. The view of our committee was that he acted in the spur of the moment and said something he regretted.

"I think there's acceptance within the referee committee that Dougie said things which were in the heat of the moment. Things that weren't true, no.

"I don't think he was trying to implicate Steven in his mistake - if anything it's the exact opposite.

"Dougie realised the minute he blew the whistle he had got it wrong so he went to Steven to test what he had in his own mind about the decision and asked if the keeper got a hand.

"Steven said his head was spinning and didn't know what was going on but that he too had doubts.

"He also said the keeper got a hand on the ball.

"On that basis, Dougie made what was the right decision.

"It would have been very easy for Dougie, having blown the whistle, just to carry on. But he was man enough to say he called it wrong.

"Dougie has apologised to everyone. This is a guy with 29 years' experience and an unblemished record."

Regan has since seen another letter from Celtic land in his office following Willie Collum's penalty decision against them in the Old Firm derby - but the SFA chief denied any bias against the Hoops.

He said: "I categorically deny any suggestion of bias against Celtic.

"I've met all the staff involved in all the areas and a number of the referees that are involved are all working extremely hard for the good of Scottish football and any suggestion of bias is totally unfounded."

A Celtic spokesperson said last night: "We have no comment to make at this stage."

Steven Craven tells all: Only in tomorrow's Sunday Mail