The English, Cole, Bale and Left Backs

We all know that when England get anything approaching a top quality player they must rush to proclaim him the best in the world. And much liek Celtic, repeat something often enough and it becomes fact.

So for the past few years they've been proclaiming Cole the best left back in the world because he's good at attacking and plays for a team that mostly dominate games so he gets to show off his attacking.

Now that Bale in recent weeks has put in immense displays of attacking full back play and at the highest level in Europe, above a level Cole has ever shown, where does that leave England and their desperated claims of having the best player in the world in a given position.

FWIW, he wasn't even the best prior to Bales pretty meteoric rise.

Bale has revelled in the new left wing position as 'arry didn't play him much at all in his first season and a bit iirc, they hype him up even though he is Welsh and looks like a chimp.

I hate Cashley so I am going to say nothing :whistle:

I know I have been saying that for years, we are due one, we have been abysmal at it getting one maybe national managers coaching techniques etc. Its been average player after average player. :(

Wales also have Ramsey once he returns.

Bale plays left wing now and has improved dramatically, Assou-Ekotto plays left back for Spurs.

By the way Ashley Cole IMO is one of the English players that do deserve the hype, he's in tremendous form.

I never said Cole wasn't top quality. I just don't think he's the very best in the world in his position and I think that too often people ignore wing backs defensive deficiencies just because they are good going forward. They are defenders first and foremost.

Every small country on the face of the earth seems to unearth the odd world class player apart from Scotland. I'm just waiting on a �£20m wonderkid to finally come through :whistle:

Oh Yeh, Aiden is oirish.;)

Cashley Cole is a good player and the reason Arsenal sold him was because they had a more than able deputy LB to step up in Gael Clichy.

Gareth Bale is in tremendous form and once he does it over 2 or 3 seasons then I'll take notice. By the way, he has zero assists in this seasons EPL with 100 players above him.

I never said Cole wasn't top quality. I just don't think he's the very best in the world in his position and I think that too often people ignore wing backs defensive deficiencies just because they are good going forward. They are defenders first and foremost.

Ashley Cole is a terrific defender though and probably the best left back in the world, at probably the best defence in the world.

Last season the only other left back who was possibly better was Aleksandar Kolarov who now plays for City.

If we're to talk about overrated English players who really are not among the best in their position look no further than Sir Wayne de la Rooney. Not even the best striker/forward in the premiership never mind world.

I fear the day England produce a Messi or Ronaldo because they will literally shit themselves with pleasure

PS - Speaking of Chelsea, Alex and Ivanovic are becoming really fantastic players. There's a perfect balance in their team at the moment.

Edited by Totti