Dear Stewart Regan

Dear Mr Regan,

As a concerned football fan I felt I had to convey in writing my frustration with regard to the ongoing controversy over officiating and discipline within the Scottish Football Association.

To that end, I'm sure you agree that the performance of your officials - be it on the front line with referees and their assistants or administratively with their superiors - has been less than convincing. The Tannadice incident and the subsequent debate has done nothing for the credibility of your organisation and the overall game in Scotland.

Now, I'd like to make clear that I feel the issue is more about competency and flawed procedure rather than infer the people involved are somehow corrupt or conspiring against any given club. Such unsubstantiated theories are unhelpful and are easily debunked when one examines the issue without prejudice. I certainly won't waste your time going over the plethora of decisions I feel have negatively affected my club, either in recent years or historically. Unfortunately though it seems clear others are intent in insulting your intelligence and this is where I'd like to detail my frustration.

As you know, in recent times (both in the last few weeks and last season in particular) Celtic Football Club have written several times to the SFA asking the organisation to explain an alleged surfeit of refereeing decisions which they feel have gone against their club. Of course this is their right and I don't think anyone should deny them the chance to impart their grievances. However, there comes a point when understandable expressions of dissatisfaction go beyond private letters to what appears to be an obvious public strategy of antiestablishmentarianism.

Whether it be their players alleging in the media yesterday that there are 'a disproportionate number of decisions given against their club', their manager verbally/physically abusing officials on the touchline or their chief executive polarising opinions about 'honest mistakes' amongst their support at pre-season 'road-shows'; Celtic FC are now arguably being less than proper in their actions. One must ask what their motive is when they lack the proof for the apparent inferences of cheating they make?

I think it is fair to say we all have a responsibility to football in Scotland. From the fans who continually invest their money to keep it fiscally viable, to the clubs who we support, to the authorities who have the unenviable task of administrating the whole; it is vital that at all times we ensure our national sport is a credible and proud example for our country.

It is that respect that transparency has never been more appropriate and I would hope all those that have dishonoured Scottish football of late are dealt with suitably so the lifeblood of the game can continue to enjoy a sport which is free from dishonesty and duplicity.

Dougie McDonald and Steven Craven have had their punishment for their poor decisions. Will you be informing us all of the censure handed out to those others who are equally guilty of bringing the game into disrepute? After all, if this doesn't happen then the credibility of the disciplinary process will remain open to negative debate.

Clear and strong leadership has certainly never been more required. I'm sure you will be eager to invoke this as a matter of urgency and, as a regular investor into Scottish football, I look forward to your reply on all of the above.

Yours in football,

xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

--

Would Regan have the baws to tackle the issue of Celtic and their campaign of intimidation towards referees?

They'd have a go at us knowing our club would adopt the usual 'dignified silent' approach. With them, they seem to let it run because when Celtic start winning titles again their moaning, whining and abuse of referees will stop.