SD Survey - Press Statement on Interim Result Survey shows fan opposition to SPL Prop

Press Statement

Survey shows fan opposition to SPL Proposals

Supporters Direct today published the initial findings from their comprehensive survey of fans on the proposed reforms to Scottish football. The survey highlighted that:

• There is strong opposition to the reduction of the top league in Scottish football to only ten teams across all supporters with 88% of fans opposing such a move:

• 93% of fans feel they have not been adequately consulted over the proposed changes
  • Fans want a greater voice in the SFA with 87% supporting fan representation in the SFA.

The survey, which is ongoing, has already canvassed the views of over 3,000 supporters from clubs across the whole spectrum of Scottish football ââ?¬â?? from the SPL and SFL through to Junior and non-league clubs and results are currently being collected and analysed by independent research agency, Red Circle Communications.

Supporters Direct Development Manager James Proctor said: ââ?¬Å?These findings raise some serious questions for everyone who cares about the future of Scottish football. There is a clear gap between what supporters have been telling us they want and the proposed reforms that are being put forward by some SPL clubs. There is strong opposition to the reduction of the top league to only ten teams and a clear desire for a larger rather than smaller top league. The option for a larger league is clearly one that fans want and should be thoroughly examined.

He added "Without fans there is no professional game and if fans feel that they haven�t been listened to then that can only be bad for Scottish football. The worrying aspect of this study is that more than nine out of ten football fans don�t feel they have been adequately consulted on these proposals. The key to restoring the financial health of the game in Scotland is to put on attractive games that supporters want to watch. Therefore we would urge the SPL, SFA, SFL and others to work with Supporters Direct, its member trusts and fans to help change Scottish football for the better and ensure that we have make the right changes to help create a modern structure with clubs fit for the future and where our game can flourish".

SD are going to close the survey on Wednesday evening and work on a fuller report to issue prior to the now cancelled SPL meeting which has been re-scheduled for Jan 4th.

It's interesting in itself but I take a very jaundiced view of the reaction this will get from the football authorities. I think these surveys have value but, as always, the danger here is that fans place too much faith in the likes of SD which, while well-meaning no doubt, has about as much stroke in football terms as my cat has to stop the rain falling.

For any real effect, fans need to put pressure directly on their own clubs if they want to influence those who will vote around the table of change. Experience tells us that leaving it to representative groups almost never produces results, however high those groups may hold their own importance.

It's interesting in itself but I take a very jaundiced view of the reaction this will get from the football authorities. I think these surveys have value but, as always, the danger here is that fans place too much faith in the likes of SD which, while well-meaning no doubt, has about as much stroke in football terms as my cat has to stop the rain falling.

For any real effect, fans need to put pressure directly on their own clubs if they want to influence those who will vote around the table of change. Experience tells us that leaving it to representative groups almost never produces results, however high those groups may hold their own importance.

MF, I respect your balanced views as always. I did say on the original thread that the best way for fans to influence the outcome of the talks is to make their opinions known to their own clubs. However, SD is working hard behind the scenes to gain influence with the government and football authorities and if close to 5,000 people (a majority non trust members) take part in the survey then the results are meaningful and even if they are not influential of themselves they will provide credible evidence of opinion and stir further debate.

MF, I respect your balanced views as always. I did say on the original thread that the best way for fans to influence the outcome of the talks is to make their opinions known to their own clubs. However, SD is working hard behind the scenes to gain influence with the government and football authorities and if close to 5,000 people (a majority non trust members) take part in the survey then the results are meaningful and even if they are not influential of themselves they will provide credible evidence of opinion and stir further debate.

Sorry Brahim I totally disagree , 5000 , out of how many exactly , the survey was not exactly indepth and how many smaller teams fans took part , you will disagree and I accept that but , if this lot get any influence then we will be on a very slippery slope , I mean what next play off's for the championship .

We have an SPL board for a very good reason , you may not like it , but the thought of amateurs having an even bigger say fills me with dread , I mean do you listen to the football phone in,s

Sorry Brahim I totally disagree , 5000 , out of how many exactly , the survey was not exactly indepth and how many smaller teams fans took part , you will disagree and I accept that but , if this lot get any influence then we will be on a very slippery slope , I mean what next play off's for the championship .

We have an SPL board for a very good reason , you may not like it , but the thought of amateurs having an even bigger say fills me with dread , I mean do you listen to the football phone in,s

I looked up the average attendances in the SPL and they total 158,868 for this season to date. I couldn't find SFL figures but guessing that the average in SFL1 is around 3,000 and the others 500 - 1000; I would estimate the total number of fans (who attend matches) is of the order of 200,000 - 250,000. I have seen the figure of 250,000 quoted elsewhere. If that is a fair guess then the survey sample is about 2.0% - 2.5%, which would normally be regarded as a more than reasonable sample. I know there are all sorts of caveats about how the survey was polled.

Just to be clear, SD are not putting forward a view, they only put out the survey to try to guage if fans support the SPL/McLeish proposals.

The results will be broken down to show what percentage of respondents support clubs in the SPL, SFL and Juniors.

Up to Sunday night this was the breakdown of 3040 respondents:

60% SPL supporters

36% SFL supporters

4% Other supporters

(Junior/Non-League)