Club Close To Sasa Deal

One of the problems with one year deals is that they very often get you no more than six months and compromise sell on value.

We wouldn't get much (if any) money for Papac anyway since he doesn't have an agent working for him. He'd probably need to be a year or three younger for any clubs to be chapping the door.

All I can think is that we don't have the money to replace him with similar or better quality this year, so the club are extending his contract for 1 year in the hope that we DO have money to replace him a year or so from now. The one year contract extension is precisely why we lost Novo as he wasn't willing to accept it, but Papac is more easy-going and is likely thinking that it's not ideal, but he'll deal with it later.

We do seem to have a policy that once you are over 30, you only get a one year deal and whilst this might be justified in the case of some forwards, it is more difficult to understand with defenders where Weir has shown that experience can be every bit as good a substitute for loss of pace at least in the SPL.

Papac has been a very sound defender for the past several seasons and has never been given a chance to perform in his best position at CB. It seems very short sighted on the part of the club to offer just a one year deal, as he could easily be our left back for another 2/3 seasons and could also slot in at CB.

We seem to be taking advantage of his family situation and it doesn't make sense to me from a footballing point of view unless we are sure that we have a ready made replacement which isn't apparent right now.

Good signing regardless of the length. If anything it is 1 monkey off the back for the management and he can be in the plans for next season. Papac has been in the consistant gang this season along with Weir, McGregor, Naismith and Miller. He showed he has quality in the Man Utd away match where I thought he was fantastic.

Not sure if there is a policy for over 30s as Novo was only offered a 1 year deal but wanted 2 yet if Miller signs it would be a 2-3 year deal.

if Miller signs it would be a 2-3 year deal.

I think you may be wrong there, I am sure I read Miller is 31 and has only been offered 1 year at same or less money, hence his interest in 2/3 year deal at Birmingham (and more money + signing on fee). I'll stand to be corrected but this is from the Telegraph by Ewing Grahame 6:56PM GMT 07 Jan 2011

The 31 year-old, whose contract expires in May, has rejected several offers to extend his stay at Ibrox. Miller had sought a two-year agreement but that failed to materialise and now he is mulling over the terms offered by his former Scotland manager, Alex McLeish.

I think you may be wrong there, I am sure I read Miller is 31 and has only been offered 1 year at same or less money, hence his interest in 2/3 year deal at Birmingham (and more money + signing on fee). I'll stand to be corrected but this is from the Telegraph by Ewing Grahame 6:56PM GMT 07 Jan 2011

The 31 year-old, whose contract expires in May, has rejected several offers to extend his stay at Ibrox. Miller had sought a two-year agreement but that failed to materialise and now he is mulling over the terms offered by his former Scotland manager, Alex McLeish.

Crikey I thought he would be signing up to finish his career. In that case I can well understand Miller looking at other options. If he signs a 1 year deal with us he may struggle to get something else next year.

Crikey I thought he would be signing up to finish his career. In that case I can well understand Miller looking at other options. If he signs a 1 year deal with us he may struggle to get something else next year.

Exactly and furthermore if his goals dry up or he comes a cropper in the second half of the season, he won't be going anywhere and he'll get a half price offer from us, so if I was him I'd be hot footing it down the M8 asap.

We wouldn't get much (if any) money for Papac anyway since he doesn't have an agent working for him. He'd probably need to be a year or three younger for any clubs to be chapping the door.

What the heck? What 30 year old who performs well in the champions league is worth nothing? He's got a few years left in him and could easily do a job in the premiership. Christ, Hibs sold Sol Bamba for 250k.

Edited by Totti