Two big strikers up front

Can it now stop, pretty please?

The entire footballing world know it doesn't work. A front pairing needs to compliment each other. I can't think of one successful front pairing where two out and out big guys worked up front. It's not even so much the size, it's just that ideally in a 4-4-2 you want an out and out striker and a classic number 10 link up player. Boyd and Miller worked because Miller can drop off and work the channels.

Lafferty and Boyd together never worked.

Lafferty and Beattie tonight were horrific. They linked horribly last week two, though Lafferty put in a good individual performance.

Beattie looks finished but being the wrong partner does not help.

We have John Fleck sitting on the bench, a player who can easily do the classic number 10 second striker type position, yet instead Walter does an illogical thing and plays two big guys. Walter reminds me of Eck at times, constantly doing things nobody else would do and persisting when they don't work.

Fleck has come on and is playing well, we look a lot more dangerous with him and Jelavic in the final third.

Or why not try 4-3-3 with 1 striker and Weiss and Fleck on the flanks supporting....

Guest 90minsofmadness

Fleck on the wing doesnt work.

Jela and Fleck looks a good option when they came on, linked up well.

I'd have a front 6 of

Davis Naismith McCulloch Weiss

-----------Fleck Jelavic--------------

When alls fit and well.

Fleck on the left of a midfield 4 doesn't work because it's not his position. There's a difference between playing wide of a 3 and wide of a 4 and I'm sure he could play wide in a front 3 fine.

But I agree with most of what you say other than Naismith being in the centre. Why is that? The last thing we want is Naismith losing his rhythm due to being played in strange positions. Naismith must play wide or supporting in attack. I think one of the reasons it took Naismith so long to settle at Ibrox was because he wasn't given a run of games in his proper position and was basically a utility man. He is now equally comfortable out wide or in attack now

Jelavic and Miller started to work well before Jelavic's injury so 2 up top can work but its a formation that is going a bit out of date unless its played direct with playes in their correct positions. Plus the 2 upfront MUST click with each other and know what each other is going to do. Over the years partnerships like Hateley and Mccoist, Yorke and Cole etc were almost telepathic.

Id say our best option is a front 3 at the moment with Naismith and Weiss included in that as wide / creative players.

Yeah I'm not saying two up front can't work, just that they need to be two different strikers, or more to the point one a striker and another a second striker/deep lying forward.

Ideally I'd like to see us playing 4-3-3 too, it has become the default formation in Europe in recent years. 4-4-2 has made a bit of a comeback at times though, Spurs, Man Utd etc often play it to good effect.

4-4-2 has made a bit of a comeback at times though, Spurs, Man Utd etc often play it to good effect.

Yip but if you look at their line ups they have the midfield bang on, especially Spurs at the moment with 2 excellent wingers and 2 solid box to box midfielders including creativity. The 4 in the midfield are as important as anything for a 4-4-2 to work. But we have McCulloch who is an adopted striker, winger, defender and midfielder playing the holding role, Davis who cant make his mind up if he is a CM or RM and we play a right winger on the left.

Go back to Advocaats 4-4-2 and an average striker like Rod Wallace banged in goals because the 4 in midfield was a proper 4 man midfield.

Fleck on the wing doesnt work.

Jela and Fleck looks a good option when they came on, linked up well.

I'd have a front 6 of

Davis Naismith McCulloch Weiss

-----------Fleck Jelavic--------------

When alls fit and well.

Davis out on the right? Controversial.