Dons set to dump Velicka

Dons set to dump Velicka

Swiss move appears likely for out-of-favour striker

Last updated: 26th January 2011

Aberdeen are poised to offload loan flop Andrius Velicka after the striker failed to impress at Pittodrie.

The Lithuanian, whose parent club Rangers do not want him back, is set to be sold to Swiss outfit St Gallen following an uninspiring five-month stint with the Dons.

Manager Craig Brown has run out of patience with the 31-year-old, who has made just one start for Aberdeen after struggling with an ankle problem.

He told the Daily Record: "Andrius was not picked at the weekend for the Celtic game and I spoke to him as there are six other strikers here and he isn't ours.

"We can't prioritise him so he has slipped down the pecking order.

"He has an outstanding scoring record throughout his career but he's not done it here and this is a football decision as the player is not nearly fit enough.

"I spoke to (assistant Rangers boss) Ally McCoist about him and asked if he had any objection to us trying to get Velicka on to another club.

"He said Rangers had no objections and the player is now going to Switzerland on Thursday with a view to signing for St Gallen."

Brown says there is no chance of getting Richard Foster, who moved to Rangers in the loan swap deal involving Velicka, back before the end of the season.

"I didn't ask about Foster coming back because I knew what the answer would be," he added.

"Rangers are short of bodies and he has been doing well for them so I am just pleased we'll get him back at the end of the season."

Sadly, it looks like Beattie might turn out to be a similar waste of money. If that turns out to be the case and you combine the two transfers plus wages it'll probably be over �£4 million wasted on the pair of them.

Yep, a million quid plus wages completely wasted...

Was just coming to say the same thing, an unnecessary purchase, we bought him when we had about 6 strikers at the time. I wish we could have spread the cash about the time when it was around, cause I'm sure a year later we bought loads of midfielders, strange team purchases.