From The Scottish Sun (I know, I know).

RANGERS have upped the stakes in their bid to keep Old Firm hero Allan McGregor - by offering a new SIX-YEAR deal.

The keeper, 29, still has two years to run on his current �£15,000-a-week contract.

But top clubs in England and abroad are getting set for a summer swoop - prompting an offer to make him a Ger for life.

SunSport understands Spanish outfit Villarreal have joined a queue which already includes Sevilla and Aston Villa. Turkish side Bursaspor have also asked to be kept informed of his situation.

But McGregor's outstanding form has pitched him to the top of the list of players new boss Ally McCoist wants tied up.

Chief executive Martin Bain has tabled a sensational bumper package which would run until 2017.

It would effectively see McGregor play out the rest of his career at Ibrox as he would be 35 by the time the deal expired.

But despite the security on offer he's still believed to be undecided over his future as he ponders a move to a higher level.

The cash-strapped Ibrox club sees the Scotland No1 as one of its biggest assets. But McGregor could be tempted to try his luck in a different league where he'd also be guaranteed to make more money.

Gers might be better cashing in this summer rather than run the risk of his value falling as his contract runs down.

He was outstanding against Celtic in Sunday's Old Firm clash at Ibrox - saving a Georgios Samaras penalty to earn a 0-0 draw.

He said: "It's my job at the end of the day. I love winning for this team and I just want to try my best every time I go on the pitch."

If he signs this 6 year deal it'll be to get us top dollar for him. I reckon there could be a gentlemans agreement between the player and the club. Sign this contract and if we get more than �£x million we'll sell you.

Guest Scuba_87

If he signs this 6 year deal it'll be to get us top dollar for him. I reckon there could be a gentlemans agreement between the player and the club. Sign this contract and if we get more than �£x million we'll sell you.

I think you could be right, how much would �£xmillion be?? it would need to be a price that was both top dollar for Rangers and a realistic price that McGregor thinks may or may not be forthcoming. I think if anything over �£8m was offered he'd be away, but Neil Alexander is a more than able deputy, I'd still feel safe with him between the sticks.

Yeah thats what I see, plus a percentage of the sale to you as well (FM hat on :P).

To be honest I would have NO ISSUE if that is the case. IT would be good for both us and McGregor - and he has shown a level of loyalty and, if it did happen, he would leave with my thanks.