HA!HA!,what happened to the '' younger,faster,fitter '' players ya fanny. Weir has played 57 games:whistle:

KNACKERED Kris Commons last night pulled out of Scotland's Carling Nations Cup doubleheader after a hamstring injury added to his exhaustion.

The Celtic winger has been ruled out of Craig Levein's squad for this week's matches against Wales and the Irish Republic at the Aviva Stadium.

Attacking ace Commons won't travel to Ireland tomorrow after a punishing season with Derby County and Celtic that has pushed his body to the limit.

Parkhead doctors contacted their Scotland counterparts to outline their concerns over the player.

And the 27-year-old was also diagnosed with a hamstring problem after reporting to the international medical staff at Mar Hall yesterday.

Commons will now start his summer break earlier than planned and will not be available for Levein.

His final act of the campaign was to help his club defeat Motherwell and win the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden.

Afterwards, Neil Lennon's bargain �£300,000 buy from Pride Park confessed he was feeling immense strain after the rigours of a tough campaign.

Commons admitted then he was struggling for national duty and said: "I'm looking to try to withdraw if possible.

"I've played 49 games. I picked up a cold in the last two weeks and was cramping up after 55 minutes [of the Final].

"It has been a whirlwind season and my boy William was born eight weeks ago, which was a joy. For me, this has just been the longest season.

"I've never played so many games or scored as many goals, so it would be nice to relax on the beach and reflect on what's happened."

The hamstring problem has compounded the tiredness situation and Commons added: "There's no operation needed. I'm not struggling in that sense. I am just knackered."

Levein will be frustrated at missing such a key weapon of his attack having already lost Peterborough United's Craig Mackai l-Smit h f rom his frontline.

The London Road striker, who was called up for the f irst t ime for the Brazil game at the Emirates in March, will stay at his club to take part in the League One Play-off Final against Huddersfield Town.

Skipper Darren Fletcher, of Manchester United, was also an absentee from the or iginal squad due to his participation in Saturday's Champions League Final against Barcelona.

Levein will also receive a full dossier this morning on his Premiership stars as the squad begins to gather at their Renfrewshire base before jetting across the Irish Sea.

Several of his stalwarts took part in a bruising and emotional Survival Sunday south of the border and the national coach will learn of any more fitness doubts this morning.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2011/05/23/carling-nations-cup-injury-blow-for-scotland-as-kris-commons-is-out-of-double-header-86908-23150260/