http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13669132.stm

Excellent idea in my opinion. Albian can get some much needed cash and players that have fallen through the net have a chance to get a club. I think more lower clubs should adopt this policy, the game is hard enough to to get into as it is,why not hold open pre season trials??

The thing that hurt me most when i was young and trying to make it was that i could never get a club to give me a chance. Although Albian have been forced to adopt this strategy i think they can benifit from it.

What do you all think?

Guest Dutchy

It certainly looks like a good idea, for the lower leagues. I can't see it taking off in the SPL, but some form of it should be introduced. I think the �£200 pound seems a bit much, but as the story suggests, they're all been in football at some point and just hope to remain. I don't expect they'd get a refund if they signed, especially as Stirling are in dire straits at the moment.

The down side is, if a guy plays well in a 25min match, surely there's a more rigorous test before he signs. I remember hearing about East Fife signing one of these ball jugglers, no, not Jimmy Calderwood, and it turned out that was exactly what he was, a juggler.

He had to be subbed after 20mins as he was coughing his guts up because he had to run.:whistle:

Think it said they play either 5 or 6 25 min half games. I don't actually think 200 is that much, i'd pay it in a shot if only for the oppertunity and that'a all these guys want because the scouting system may not allow that for them.

Albian could be showing the way forward with regards to signing players in the lower leagues. If a player doesn't make the grade for whatever reason then i'm sure he'd pick up some good advice on where to improve his game.

Wasn't you that was coughing his guts up was it?? :wtf:

Guest Dutchy

No, I was looking for the heart monitor lol.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea, I'm just not sure it's for the SPL teams. Still, a lot has to be done in the youth training field, so everything that brings new players to light is a good move, I'm just not keen on having to pay �£200 for it.

�£200 sounds like a lot and a bit of a rip-off if they take no-one on. Perhaps they need to give more for the money like say a couple of days professional training with the coaches and first team, feedback in the form of an in depth analysis of their strengths and weakness with likelihood of making it professionally. Add in some stuff like nutritional assessment and advice, topped off with a couple of bounce matches with the best playing with some of the squad and it would seem like a reasonable package - they could maybe even charge a bit more.

The Scottish game at grass roots level has to change drastically anyway. Saw so many players at 13s,14s and 15s easily good enough to go to pro clubs but were never picked up because they were either too small at the age of 13 etc or they never played for the best team in the league. Even the best team in the league were just full of boys that were big for their age and would just dominate the games.

Being a keeper is even worse, if you aren't 6ft by the time your 14 you don't stand a chance. Not trying to blow my own trumpet but I was easily the best keeper in my age group in Edinburgh but because I wasn't big enough I never got picked up.

I did eventually get a chance but that was through Gordon Durie as he coached our team so we had the chance to play Rangers at our age group at Murray Park.

After that game got asked to come to a few sessions with The Rangers and got asked to go down to London so the coaches at Chelsea could have a better look at me. Was absolutely cheesing Rangers had asked and said obviously!

Had the Gothia Cup in Sweden though with another team(got the whole trip paid for me :D) and probably pulled the best save off I ever had, ended up just lying there crippled..torn ligaments in my back and no played since!

The game needs an overhaul though as some boys I played with I still don't know how they never even got a trial or anything..shocking.