Will Ally Follow Walter?

What's in store for us 'Gers fans and beyond?

Will Ally follow Walter and adopt his defensive tactics especially in Europe?

Or as a striker, will he go for the 'Barcelona' approach and annihilate opposing defences?

What would you like to see? Is Ally up to it? Or God forbid will he flop?

What's in store for us 'Gers fans and beyond?

Alex Trout has passed a new government bill for 10 new prisons to be built and all Rangers fans in the mean time are to be detained in Saughton.

Will Ally follow Walter and adopt his defensive tactics especially in Europe?

I think (and hope) that he'll go for the defensive style when he thinks he should do.

Or as a striker, will he go for the 'Barcelona' approach and annihilate opposing defences?

Hopefully he knows better than to stick with one particular approach, but I do think he'll want us to attack teams more from midfield forwards because he knows how good we can be when we attack rather than back off teams. Trying to install that mindset into the players is another story though because Walter was furious a lot of the time when we were backing off, so I don't think he told the players to do it, they just seem to do it themselves.

What would you like to see? Is Ally up to it? Or God forbid will he flop?

Win the league. Ally is up to it.

Guest Dutchy

I think defence is an important part of football, just because some top players that are unsuccessful at breaking that defence down, and others that win nothing claim they play the best football and decry out style as anti-football should concentrate on their own teams and style. We should contiue with ours and that's not to say that we don't go forward, it's just it can be frustrating at times as we all want our team to be kicking forward at all times.

I hope Ally gets the balance right and if we win the league again next year, after getting humilated in Europe in the group stages, then I'll be happy with his first season.

Winning the league is what it is all about and I expect us to defend it well.

I think defence is an important part of football, just because some top players that are unsuccessful at breaking that defence down, and others that win nothing claim they play the best football and decry out style as anti-football should concentrate on their own teams and style. We should contiue with ours and that's not to say that we don't go forward, it's just it can be frustrating at times as we all want our team to be kicking forward at all times.

I hope Ally gets the balance right and if we win the league again next year, after getting humilated in Europe in the group stages, then I'll be happy with his first season.

Winning the league is what it is all about and I expect us to defend it well.

Was all on board until the humiliated in Europe. The SPL is the be all and end all and I don't expect us to win anything in Europe, but being competitive is a minimum requirement. (Definitions of competitive may vary ;))

In the STV programme on Walter, Ally said the only approach to take into the UEFA Cup final was defensive. So I can see a similar formation and tactics being used in Europe to Walter. I am more hopeful that he can adapt his formation depending on the quality of opposition.

Guest Dutchy

I noted that as well Metlika, but I reasoned that in a tribute to Walter Smith, he was hardly likely to say that Smith had the wrong tactics. I'm certainly looking for a wee bit more from the team in an attacking sense, but never to give up on our natural strengths.

Super Ally: I don't mean I want for us to be humiliated in Europe, but there's always the possibility that we get a couple of 4,5 - 0 results, depending on who we draw but it would be regarded by the fans and the media and our opponents if that were to happen. Getting into the groups stages would be good in itself, but winning the title is a must.

I understand what you were saying. A league winning season is what counts. I would just be careful how I made that point.

Also just because we lost does not mean Smith got the tactics in the UEFA final wrong. He could have played the "right" tactics that the armchair fans demanded and still got beat, or even lost by and even larger margin.

Guest Dutchy

That's true, it could have been a lot more had we went gung-ho. And listening to the Walter Smith tribute, it did work up until the second half, then we collapsed. It could have been so diffiernt had we scored first.

Just look at the celebrations of Dick Advocaat at their goal.

That's the all in the past, let's hope the future can give us some resemblance of a repeat run, with a diffirent outcome perhaps!