ONE dream was to play for Rangers.

Another was to run out at Windsor Park.

David Healy just never imagined he'd live out both in the same game.

The Northern Ireland striker returns home to Belfast today when Gers face Linfield in a pre-season friendly.

And Healy said: "Going back to Belfast will be great.

"I've made no secret of my love of playing at Windsor Park for Northern Ireland.

"So to get the chance to play there for the two teams I've supported, Rangers and Linfield, is amazing.

"I'm sure it'll be a great day. If you support Linfield then you automatically support Rangers.

"Hopefully there will be a good turnout and as players we want to get a win to give us a bit of a confidence boost.

"I certainly hope I'll get a good reception but I'm sure all the Rangers boys will in Belfast.

"We go there as SPL champions which was thoroughly deserved and I'm sure we'll get a warm welcome.

"I actually went to a few Linfield v Rangers games at Windsor Park more than ten years ago.

"I'd go and watch Linfield as a boy - but to play for my beloved Rangers against them at that ground will be incredible.

"A few years ago I never thought it would be possible.

"Rangers have played Linfield for a few years now but I didn't think I'd get the chance to play in one."

Windsor Park has a special place in Healy's heart. The striker, who has scored winning goals there against the likes of England and Spain, added: "I don't know what it is about Windsor Park that made so many international teams struggle there recently.

"It's not a nice place and we made it a bit of a fortress.

"On the way in from the West, through the Falls Road and Sandy Row, into the village - I think some teams were a bit intimidated by it.

"But I'm used to it and I'm sure the Rangers boys are all looking forward to it.

"I'll have lots of family and friends there - I think they all had their tickets bought before I'd even signed my new deal!

"So they were going whether I was playing for Rangers or for a local pub team. They were going to the match anyway.

"It's been a tough week over in Northern Ireland but hopefully Glasgow Rangers going over there on Saturday will give the nation a real lift."

Healy only played a bit-part last season after signing in January.

But he is now more determined than ever to make his mark with Rangers after being handed a new one-year deal.

He added: "That would be nice. I missed the Bochum game with an injury and then the gaffer didn't use any subs against Leverkusen.

"Hopefully he'll mix it up against Linfield and Blackpool and I'll get a chance to play. I want to play a little bit more than I did last year.

"Every player wants to play - I am pretty sure Neil Alexander isn't overly delighted at sitting on the bench every week but he does it for Rangers.

"At the end of the season you get your rewards. We all want success here and I'm no different.

"I'm still hopeful I can score some big goals for this football club this season.

"I look at Nikica Jelavic and think it would be absolutely great to play alongside him.

"Jela showed last season what a brilliant player he is - him and Laff finished the season on fire."

Lafferty may have finished last season on fire but he looks like missing the start of this one after being sent home from the club's German training base with a groin injury.

Healy added: "I am disappointed for Kyle but it'll give others an opportunity.

"Kyle will bounce back, he's a young, fit lad and the sooner he gets back the better for Rangers.

"I don't set myself any targets for the season - I just want to be involved a bit more.

"I spoke to the new gaffer after the Kilmarnock game and to be given the opportunity to stay here for another year is great. I'm not going to sit back and enjoy it - I want out on the pitch scoring goals.

"It was a no-brainer to stay here. To play for this club after originally missing out at the age of 13, then regretting it throughout my career, is brilliant.

"I've got another chance now and I want to take it.

"It's good to know Ally wants me here although I'm not sure I was too sober at that post-match Ibrox party when we won the title! I think he offered me a deal anyway!"

Rangers' pre-season trip to Germany didn't exactly go as well as McCoist would have been hoping with three straight defeats. But Healy insists they will be ready when it counts.

He added: "It's been tough but pre-season is like that. Sometimes you win four or five games then have a slip up at the start of the season.

"Pre-season form isn't about winning friendlies, it's about getting your fitness up and staying clear of injury.

"Hopefully we will now be ready for the SPL.

"We're all disappointed to lose three games but pre-season games don't always give a reflection of what's achieved throughout the season, whether it's Rangers or any other club.

"We are players light, the punters and the manager are aware of that. The sooner we get them in the better."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3698318/Healy-To-run-out-and-play-for-Gers-is-a-dream.html#ixzz1SFUiK46y