Weir will stay but only if he gets to play

DAVID WEIR last night insisted he wouldnâ??t hang around at Rangers if heâ??s not playing regularly.

The Ibrox captain, above, is brutally honest and as he launched his autobiography called â??Extra Timeâ? he confirmed: â??If I was on the bench here all the time Iâ??m sure Iâ??d get sick of that.

â??I spent time as a substitute at Everton and I couldnâ??t get away quick enough because itâ??s not what I wanted to do. I wanted to play.

â??And if that was the case again now I donâ??t imagine I would do it for long.

â??I always had an agreement with previous manager Walter Smith that if I wasnâ??t playing then Iâ??d shake hands and go home and Ally McCoist was always part of those discussions and he knows thatâ??s always been my way of doing things.

"I donâ??t think that will ever change. If that situation arises, thatâ??s what Iâ??ll do.â?

But donâ??t read into that any notion that Weir is giving up on a first-team place and as he edges back to fitness following a hamstring injury he is as ambitious as ever.

â??I think it was massive that Steven Whittaker, Steven Naismith, Allan McGregor and Lee McCulloch, lads who have been the course and distance and know what it takes to be successful here, have signed long deals,â? he declared.

â??They are the heartbeat of the team and going forward they are the players who will pass it on to future generations.

â??People like them donâ??t come along very often but you have to build a core and the way this group has bonded has been a big thing in our success over the last few years.

â??All being British is a big factor as well and along with others like Kirk Broadfoot, Lee Wallace, Neil Alexander and the John Flecks and Kyle Huttons itâ??s important to have guys who know the club and its traditions.â?

Weir, meanwhile, has urged Steven Fletcher to end his feud with international manager Craig Levein.

He said: â??Iâ??m sure Steven has thought long and hard about it. He is a clever boy and a good boy too, so he knows what he is doing and he will have his own reasons.

â??But my advice would be that the obstacles are not insurmountable and he should make the phone call. He should do what he has to do to get back involved because we could definitely do with him.â?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/270544/Weir-will-stay-but-only-if-he-gets-to-play

I'm sure he does only want to stay if he's a regular, but I think we have to be brutally honest about this. Although David weir is a fine player and is very important for his inspiational displays, he has had some rubbish ones as well and I'm afraid his time has come and definately gone.

He should have moved back to Everton in the summer as Moyes had a job involved with training there for him.