Ok, it was only a friendly...

I think it's a bit early to say that Ortiz was a "poor poor signing who isn't suited to this squad/team at all". He's only started 7 games for us and 2 of those were soon after he signed for us in the Maribor games. 5 SPL starts isn't enough to properly judge what a player can offer or indeed, what his best position even is.

Exactly Zappa. He's been sat on the bench, if he's even made the bench in some games and hardly played at all.

Then he's expected to come on in a fairly low key game and turn on the magic. I think he should be getting at least half an hour in each game to get his match fitness up and then he could prove to be a very useful signing.

But with Edu and McCulloch being the favs at the moment, I can't see him, nor Kerkar getting any game time at all.

But did last night teach us anything at all about the squad?

I'm going to be honest, I found a few small (probably irrelevant) nuggets of information in it that may or may not be useful.

• Ortiz was a poor poor signing who isn't suited to this squad/team at all. Not all Ally's signings will be successes and the Spaniard sadly isn't one.
  • Aluko looks to have a lot of energy. He's quick, dynamic, and showed how effective he can be when he does get the final ball in. But he's no Naismith.
  • There's a reason Alexander never really made the big time as a goalkeeper. Sure, Shagger's made errors too, but it's not often you see Alexander pull out saves even half the quality of Shagger's. An adequate deputy but never more.
  • It was interesting to see Fleck in a more central position. It's closer to where he's best suited, and he seemed more at ease in that central slot. He is basically a trequartista and is wasted on the flanks. Time will tell if he's good enough in his preferred position to make it at the club.

That's about it.

1. Ortiz is as exciting as Freddie Starr in pyjamas....

2. Aluka is worst than the guy who noised up 'Broony'

3. Alexander played in a European Final

4. Fleck is some guy who played for us way back in the 80s, and wasn't that great....

NEXT!

1. Ortiz is as exciting as Freddie Starr in pyjamas....

2. Aluka is worst than the guy who noised up 'Broony'

3. Alexander played in a European Final

4. Fleck is some guy who played for us way back in the 80s, and wasn't that great....

NEXT!

On your analysis 54andcounting, you can stop counting now!

I think it's a bit early to say that Ortiz was a "poor poor signing who isn't suited to this squad/team at all". He's only started 7 games for us and 2 of those were soon after he signed for us in the Maribor games. 5 SPL starts isn't enough to properly judge what a player can offer or indeed, what his best position even is.

I heard this defence of Beattie back in the day when I said the same thing about him. It was all about 'match fitness' 'needs a run' 'give him a chance'. When it was plain as day to me that this was a signing who simply didn't fit in. Who wasn't the right kind of player for us.

Quite frankly, I expect to be proven correct on this occasion as well, and I 100% expect, if that indeed happens, that yourself, Darthter and Dutchy all admit he was a bad signing.

Are you not 100% correct at the moment yet.

How much time, or how many games does he not have to play in, or play in for you to be 100% jubilant that our signings turn out to be wrong.

I need 100% specifics to know what it is I'm to admit to being wrong about.

Let's cancel christmas and have a morality feest instead, lol.

PS, can you tell me Saturdays lottery numbers Danny?

In fairness, Ortiz hasn't really set the grass on fire......the real question (the answer of which is still unknown...) is given time & games, will this change???

He has shown short glimpses of being a decent player when played wide on the right, however he needs to put in consistently decent (at a minimum) performances to win folk over.

On the flip side....he's not even been guaranteed a place on the bench. This leads you to believe that McCoist isn't being blown away by him in training - this also applies to Bedoya & McKay - OR McCoist has his favourites and they take precedence over the others....regardless of current form!!!

Are you not 100% correct at the moment yet.

How much time, or how many games does he not have to play in, or play in for you to be 100% jubilant that our signings turn out to be wrong.

I need 100% specifics to know what it is I'm to admit to being wrong about.

Let's cancel christmas and have a morality feest instead, lol.

PS, can you tell me Saturdays lottery numbers Danny?

Don't choose Ortiz's jersey number, that's a guaranteed fail.

Don't choose Ortiz's jersey number, that's a guaranteed fail.

At least you have a bit of humour about you, which surprised me.

Now that you say that, I may even take a lottery with the first six new signings numbers this year, it could be a winner.

But do I have to give the winnings to Mr Whyte???

At least you have a bit of humour about you, which surprised me.

Now that you say that, I may even take a lottery with the first six new signings numbers this year, it could be a winner.

But do I have to give the winnings to Mr Whyte???

If you won enough you could buy the club entirely!