Settings

Guest superrcooper7

Guest superrcooper7

Are there any setting options to turn off the news feed posts that always appear when looking for new posts? No offence meant, these just don't really interest me, yet I have to mark forums as read to be not bothered by them.

Unfortunately not at the moment mate. Even if you put the "Jim White" feeds from SSN (for example) in your Ignore List, they will still be displayed as new posts and the content of these news feed posts will only be hidden to you when you actually enter the thread.

We'll maybe have to look into this if more users like yourself find it an issue. I'm guessing you're using the option to display a list of new posts and getting hit with a list containing loads of news feeds that you're not interested in?

Guest superrcooper7

Yes, that's right. I find it easier that way, but do get an awful lot of the various news feeds displaying. Not a big deal, maybe me being fussy. That and I've already read the articles I want to from the new ones on Newsnow.

The Jim Whyte SSN feeds annoy me too because most of the time they're either not interesting or when they occasionally are interesting, they've been released late, hours behind other news outlets releasing the same news.

The Sir Trevor McDonald news feeds from the Guardian were completely removed from the forum a few weeks ago along with the sub-forums inside the lounge.

Dont bother me overly. I read any that have a title that interests me, much like any other threads on the site.

Same here. The Jim White feeds annoy me a little and I remember you commenting a few times about the amount of nonsense Celtic non-stories the SSN feed brings in, so that's one of the reasons (as well as the sheer volume of threads created by the SSN feed) that we put those feeds into their own sub-forum in Footy Chat. At least that way they're separate from threads started in Footy Chat by forum members and not spamming the Footy Chat forum.

Ultimately though, the feeds are only really an issue if you're using the forum feature for displaying a list of new posts like superrcooper7 is doing.

Being new I find it the easiest way of browsing the site instead of going into each section and possibly not seeing anything new.

I'm not sure what forum skin you're using mate, but if you haven't changed it from the default skin (Gersnet Home) you could try out the Gersnet Original skin. That's what I use because I like the way it displays and find it much easier on the eye. I'm sure a few others here use that one too. It might not help you, but might be worth a go if you haven't checked it out already.