Celebrating 140 Years

0,,5%7E10322300,00.jpg

THIS New Year marks the 140th year of Rangers and the club will celebrate this milestone throughout 2012.

In an illustrious history the Light Blues have won 54 League Championships, the Scottish Cup 33 times, the League Cup 26 times and reached four European finals, winning the Cup Winners' Cup in 1972.

In the next twelve months Rangers will celebrate the club's remarkable history from humble beginnings to becoming one of the world's great sporting institutions.

As the image above shows this will mark a celebration of the club's pride, passion, history, tradition and success.

From the Founding Fathers who laid the platform for future success to the current players and management aiming to continue that tradition, all will be celebrated.

Over the coming 366 days the club will recognise and celebrate all that has made it great in its 140 year history.

All the best to you and all the Gers fans in Belfast mate! :hny:

Cheers dude. Taking the wee girl over for the well game on Monday - canny wait.

Also, I hope 2012 is another great year for this forum. The only other forum I make time for due to the content posted. Keep up the good work!

Hold on! Don't want to be a 'party pooper' but my recollection of Rangers foundation is 1873? NOT 1872?

I have a ticket for the Rangers v Ajax game in 1973 (the unofficial 'super cup' final) at Ibrox priced 5p in celebration of Rangers founding. (That was the reason for the game?) It's not recognised as a 'Super Cup Final by UEFA)

Also....Rangers opened the 'Centenary Stand' at Ibrox in 1973? So why all of a sudden are we 1872? Did we not know back then our history? Or is this being made up to suit our triumph in Europe?

Can someone explain why I bought a ticket to celebrate our 100 years for 5p in a game v Cruyff and all, and later sat in the 'Centenary Stand' in 1973?

Hi Everyone

I wasn't on this forum in 2010, so getting herevwas a high point

Great forum.

Wish you all, and the Rangers, the best for the coming year.

2012 may be interesting but if - as a support - we pull together, I can see a good year for us.

Ever the optimist.

All the best to you all, wherever you are.

Happy New Year

Hold on! Don't want to be a 'party pooper' but my recollection of Rangers foundation is 1873? NOT 1872?

I have a ticket for the Rangers v Ajax game in 1973 (the unofficial 'super cup' final) at Ibrox priced 5p in celebration of Rangers founding. (That was the reason for the game?) It's not recognised as a 'Super Cup Final by UEFA)

Also....Rangers opened the 'Centenary Stand' at Ibrox in 1973? So why all of a sudden are we 1872? Did we not know back then our history? Or is this being made up to suit our triumph in Europe?

Can someone explain why I bought a ticket to celebrate our 100 years for 5p in a game v Cruyff and all, and later sat in the 'Centenary Stand' in 1973?

It has recently been widely recognised that our founding year was actually 1872 and not, as widely believed, 1873.

I think the crux of it is, we were founded in 1872 but held our first AGM in 1873. That's where the dates are mixed up and where the confusion lies. Anyone else correct me? I'm poleaxed!