Craig, the lack of consistency is largely due to the panel keeping getting changed.

Regardless, it was a very harsh red.

It looked to me as if Jig was trying to shake the man off him (lest we forget that he was being manhandled by the Saints defender at the time) rather than an intentional elbow.

I could be wrong but I didnt realise that an unintentional elbow (which is what it looked like to me) was a red card offence. In which case the appeal was merited.

I thought it was a soft red, but felt it was never going to be rescinded whether it is me being paranoid or not. I also felt McCulloch didn't deserve the old firm game the way it ultimately cost us against St Mirren as clearly the St Mirren guys tackle wound him up.

Regardless, it was a very harsh red.

It looked to me as if Jig was trying to shake the man off him (lest we forget that he was being manhandled by the Saints defender at the time) rather than an intentional elbow.

I could be wrong but I didnt realise that an unintentional elbow (which is what it looked like to me) was a red card offence. In which case the appeal was merited.

I'd need to see it again to get another look at the replays of the incident mate, but I can't find the highlights. From what I remember of the incident, Jig didn't really have much complaint with the ref's decision because he realised he'd given the ref an opportunity to make a call and card him.

Even although Jig was trying to free himself, I think it's stretching the truth a little to say it was an unintentional elbow. If you deliberately swing your arm in the process of trying to wrestle free and happen to catch your opponent, that's not an accident, that's unfortunate.

I'd need to see it again to get another look at the replays of the incident mate, but I can't find the highlights. From what I remember of the incident, Jig didn't really have much complaint with the ref's decision because he realised he'd given the ref an opportunity to make a call and card him.

Even although Jig was trying to free himself, I think it's stretching the truth a little to say it was an unintentional elbow. If you deliberately swing your arm in the process of trying to wrestle free and happen to catch your opponent, that's not an accident, that's unfortunate.

My recollection was that Jig put his head in his hands and that is where the interpretation comes into play. I thought that rather than being a "shite, I just gave him the opportunity to send me off" gesture it was a "I cant believe he just sent me off for that".

You may think it is stretching the truth to say it was an unintentional elbow - but in the same vein I am not convinced he was "deliberately swinging an arm" - remember, he was being manhandled and if he is using his arm to free himself at the same time as the opponent actually lets his arm go then physics will tell you that his arm will swing with more force as he thought that the opponents arm was still there, thus requiring more force to free himself.

Look at it again if you can find the highlights. I can see why the ref sent him off due to the reaction from the Saints player. But if a player is going to intentionally elbow an opponent then he would actually use his elbow. I felt that McCulloch caught Carey, only slightly, with the inside of his arm, not the elbow. Just look at the angle that his arm is at, it isnt bent at the elbow as you would expect for an intentional elbow, it is wrapped around, I would contend more of a trying to free himself motion than trying to hurt his opponent.

Regardless of how you saw it though I have to admit that I am becoming very disillusioned with football in general due to this type of nonsense. Football has become a non-contact sport ready-made for cheats (and yes, I would suggest Carey was cheating by his reaction). All in the name of getting a fellow pro sent off. I wouldnt advocate going back to the "break his leg in retaliation" of the 60's but surely football should still be a contact sport. This judgement says that, in Scotland at least, it is no longer the case.

It will be interesting to see what type of incidents are now brought before the Compliance Officer. Hooper's elbow at Motherwell had more intent than McCulloch's.... and I didnt think that was a red card either, for the record.

McCulloch is a no-nonsense type player, aggressive, in your face battler, he's not a gifted graceful prancing about type, he also happens to play for Rangers.

Take Broon of the Septics, he also is all of those things with a little less skill, will he be 'brought to book' for his style?. No. He plays for Celtic.