Financial Fair Play in the Championship

Championship clubs agree to introduce financial fair play model

Championship clubs have voted in favour of introducing a groundbreaking new financial fair play model, the Football League has announced

.All but three of the npower Championship's 24 clubs voted in favour of introducing the model, which is based on Uefa's financial fair play regulations, and plans to curb Football League debt by limiting investment from owners and total spending.

Football League research has revealed that the 72 clubs that form the Championship, League One and League Two are on course to rack up a combined £2 billion of debt unless spending and investment from 'sugar daddy' owners is curbed.

The regulations will be introduced next season on a gradual basis, but sanctions for non-compliance will not be put in place until the 2014-15 season.

Under the regulations, from the 2014-15 season, clubs who record total losses of over £6 million will be hit with either a transfer embargo or a fine that could run in to the millions.

The club in question will be fined if they are promoted to the Premier League and will be hit with a transfer embargo if they remain in the Championship.

Owners will be allowed to invest £6 million next season, £5 million the following and £3 million the following season

Financial losses per season will also be curbed under the new regulations.

Clubs will be allowed to record a £4 million loss next season, £3 million per season for the next two campaigns, and £2 million per season from 2015-16 onwards.

The money generated from any fine imposed will be shared among the clubs in the Championship who are compliant with the regulations.

The initiative is seen as an important step to stopping Football League clubs going bust.

Earlier this season Portsmouth went into administration and Football League Chairman Greg Clarke predicts several clubs will go out of business if this scheme is not adopted.

The Football League have been consulting with the Premier League and the FA, and are confident the initiative will get the official backing of both bodies.

The scheme applies to the Championship only, but League One and League Two already have initiatives to make them more financially sound.

League Two clubs are already allowed to spend 55 per cent of turnover on wages and a similar scheme will be introduced to League One next season after a successful pilot scheme this term.

Any League One club spending over 65 per cent of their turnover in the 2012-13 season, or 60 per cent of their turnover in the 2013-14 season will be hit with a transfer embargo.

Clarke said: "On the pitch we have three exciting, competitive divisions with crowds at their highest levels for 50 years. But that success isn't necessarily being reflected on our clubs' balance sheets and we have to remedy that situation or face an uncertain future.

"I'd like to commend the Championship clubs for the courageous decision they have taken today.

"It means that for the first time, all 72 Football League clubs have agreed to take concerted action towards controlling their financial destiny.

"Whilst we cannot promise that these rules will deliver results overnight, they will begin to lay the foundations for a league of financially self-sustaining football clubs."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/9226249/Championship-clubs-agree-to-introduce-financial-fair-play-model.html

The three who voted against were Reading, Southampton and Cardiff City. Interesting to note the difference in stance by the Football League when compared to the SPL, who have already seen 4 clubs go into administration and yet don't seem to have any plans for adhering to the global financial fairplay rules which Platini has promised.

Under the Championship's rules neither us (at the moment) or Celtic would be allowed in even if they wanted us.

Under the Championship's rules neither us (at the moment) or Celtic would be allowed in even if they wanted us.

Why? If you take away the BTC and Whyte, I can't see why we'd not qualify?

Ignoring BTC and before Whyte the impression is that we were not making a loss and had zero ownership investment. Our wages were also less than 55% of turnover.

Where would we not qualify?

I agree this season's shambles and the BTC make it an exceptional year but surely if we have new owners either by CVA or liquidation we'll be run in a way to not make huge losses. If we joined next season (I know this won't actually happen) we would be allowed 12M of ownership investment over three years and losses of 4m, 3m and then 2m perpetually. I'm sure that would be well achievable for us without the burden of the potential tax debt.

Why? If you take away the BTC and Whyte, I can't see why we'd not qualify?

Ignoring BTC and before Whyte the impression is that we were not making a loss and had zero ownership investment. Our wages were also less than 55% of turnover.

Where would we not qualify?

I agree this season's shambles and the BTC make it an exceptional year but surely if we have new owners either by CVA or liquidation we'll be run in a way to not make huge losses. If we joined next season (I know this won't actually happen) we would be allowed 12M of ownership investment over three years and losses of 4m, 3m and then 2m perpetually. I'm sure that would be well achievable for us without the burden of the potential tax debt.

Hence the "at the moment" remark in comma's Calscot.

My point is that we could adapt to these rules far quicker and easier than Celtic.