Celtic chief addresses fan worries over SPL financial rules vote

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has sought to dispel fan concerns on how the club will act in a Scottish Premier League vote on Rangers' future.

A majority of fans oppose admitting a "newco" Rangers into the top flight. "We will do what is in the best interests of Celtic Football Club and our supporters, consistent with upholding the interests and reputation of Scottish football," said Lawwell. SPL clubs will vote on new financial fair play rules on 30 May.

Clubs met at Hampden Park on Monday but delayed voting on new financial fair play rules until the end of the month at the request of Bill Miller, the American businessman who had been named as the preferred bidder to buy Rangers.

Miller has since withdrawn his offer, but other interested parties are pursuing his idea of forming a new company to run Rangers while the old one attempts to resolve the debt problem that led to the club going into administration.

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson spoke about the dilemma facing the SPL, with clubs losing a large slice of their income should they kick Rangers out the league but facing threatened fan boycotts if they do not.

Most fans voting in a Scotland-wide online survey said they opposed the idea of a "newco" Rangers remaining in the SPL.

"We are fully aware of our supporters' concerns regarding the current situation across Scottish football and the breadth of opinion within our supporter base," Lawwell told Celtic's website.

"The issues are complex and there is much uncertainty. Indeed, the situation repeatedly changes, even on a daily basis.

"I am sure our supporters understand that these developments are receiving our full focus and attention.

"I can also give an assurance that we will communicate further and directly with our supporters at the appropriate time."

Lawwell went on to praise the supporters' backing for manger Neil Lennon and his side, who will be presented with the champions' trophy against Hearts.

"Celtic Football Club is an institution which is about to celebrate its 125th season and we will be proud to mark this season as champions of Scotland," he said.

"Your magnificent support has played a vital role in bringing the Scottish Premier League title back home to Celtic Park.

"As Neil said recently, we have never been more united and I know this unity will be vital as we move forward.

"We look forward to Sunday's match when we will celebrate all that is great about our club and I am sure we will celebrate as only a packed Celtic Park knows how."

"we will celebrate all that is great about our club and I am sure we will celebrate as only a packed Celtic Park knows how."

IRA-OKE it is then Pete ? Or should we expect you to celebrate with "Boostained Poppy" banners ? All that is great my arse.