By Andrew Dickson

ALLY McCOIST is happy with the way Rangers' pre-season schedule is shaping up after the club confirmed it will visit Germany again this summer.

The Light Blues will play three games against Eintracht Braunschweig, Armenia Bielefeld and an as-yet unannounced opponent during the trip from July 18 to 25.

Gers will also take on Southampton and Arsenal at the Markus Liebherr Memorial Cup on July 14 and other fixtures are expected to be confirmed in due course.

The team's German base in the sleepy village of Marienfeld is one McCoist and his players are familiar with after previous trips there in 2007 and 2009.

And the manager thinks it's the ideal place to return to as he looks to get back to normality after the stresses and strains of administration in the last few months.

He is also delighted to be coming up against two Premiership sides on England's south coast prior to that week-long stay on mainland Europe.

McCoist told the Daily Record: "We are in the closing stages of arranging our pre-season and that won't be changed, no matter the outcome of all the issues we've spoken about.

"We will be going to Germany, basing ourselves in Marienfeld as we have done a couple of other times before.

"I wanted to give the players some sense of stability and normality and they will be happy to go back there because the facilities are good.

"Before that we'll have the Memorial Cup in Southampton and I am looking forward to that because it is something different.

"I always think far too much emphasis is placed on pre-season results - lose a couple and folk are saying you are in crisis before a ball has been kicked for real.

"But this tournament is something different. Each game only lasts 45 minutes and we'll want to win but it is more about gaining fitness and sharpness against two very good teams.

"We want to gear up for the start of the season and this will help us do that. I like the sound of the tournament and was happy to take it on."

"I always think far too much emphasis is placed on pre-season results - lose a couple and folk are saying you are in crisis before a ball has been kicked for real.

He's learned from his mistakes last season, I see.

Absolute madness. The club's skint but can afford to fly the squad out to Germany and stay in posh digs for a week? Who's paying for that? :wtf:

The German clubs pay a lot of money to play against us but whether it will completely cover the bill i don't know.

Absolute madness. The club's skint but can afford to fly the squad out to Germany and stay in posh digs for a week? Who's paying for that? :wtf:

Not sure I agree with this.

In my opinion, this yearly preparatory phase is a constant in the Rangers diary, and will be budgeted-for.

It provides consistency and regularity (i.e., stability), and the time at this quiet location is a sound launching-off point for the players and player-management to begin the new-season. The benefits it can provide to the players should not be underestimated.

Not sure I agree with this.

In my opinion, this yearly preparatory phase is a constant in the Rangers diary, and will be budgeted-for.

I wasn't saying don't have any pre-season at all, but I take your point and if the club can afford the trip, then fair enough. :)

It provides consistency and regularity, and the time at this quiet location is a sound launching-off point for the players and player-management to begin the new-season. The benefits it can provide to the players should not be underestimated.

The young lads got some decent game time out in Germany last year so I can understand it would have been good for them (especially in terms of getting to know the rest of the squad a bit better). Have to say though, it didn't seem to do the main first team players much good going by the 1st SPL game against Hearts and the game against Malmo at Ibrox 3 days later.

McCoist has had, and will have, enough to deal with as it is without trying to organise a pre-season along lines he never once tried during his 30-some years in the game. How's he supposed to invent a pre-season out of thin air?

Give Ally a break, jeezo.

McCoist has had, and will have, enough to deal with as it is without trying to organise a pre-season along lines he never once tried during his 30-some years in the game. How's he supposed to invent a pre-season out of thin air?

Give Ally a break, jeezo.

Not sure if this post is real?