wee bit of calm required....

You come in and buy the biggest club in the country that has been raped by bad owners. Newco it to get it debt free, take a pile of shit from all quarters then sell for a profit. Job done.

Easy as that. What could go wrong.

Didn't Motherwell report a profit last year????

A profit (or at least break even) is possibly, providing that even the most limited revenue streams are maximised, and that there is no excessive spending. How often do we make a decent profit on a player sale - Jelavic is about the only recent example that I can think of, and even then we could probably have made more. Buy cheap...sell high = profit!!!

As I said above much easier said than done. Lots of guys were successful businessmen until they got involved in football.

Guest carter001
One thing that strikes me about McColl's wealth - is that as far as I can see it is liquid. It's all very well to say you own businesses worth £500m but you can't actually spend that money - it's like equity in your house, you're worth that money but you haven't got access to it. Also when it's tied into business it can go from £500m to very little very quickly - just ask David Murray.

When that is the case you are protective of your worth and don't splurge it unnecessarily.

But from what I gather, McColl just sold his business for 700 odd million. Now that's like selling your house for 15 times what it's worth and having the cash to spend. His money is safe and Rangers are relatively a bit of cash in his back pocket.

Yes, he sold Clyde Union Pumps but, he used bank money to fund the purchase of Weir pumps and Textron divisions ($1bn). So his company made money. It doesn't mean it went into his bank account.

The banks and investment companies have always been a huge part in Jim McColl/Clyde Blowers business acquisitions.

That being said, he did start a company called Cleancut which was part of Clyde Blowers and then split it from the group a few weeks before it was sold. I'm told the investment was approx £2m (£1.5m being McColls) and it was sold for a reported £220m, albeit this was split into an initial payment and then further payments based on company performance over a 10 year period. It did allow him to buy a jet but, he has since sold it.