WALTER SMITH two-year blueprint

Exclusive

By IAIN KING

Published: 20 minutes ago

WALTER SMITH has drawn up a two-year blueprint for his mission to rescue Rangers.

comment on this story.

SunSport can reveal that Smith and his consortium will launch their takeover bid within the next 48 hours.

Accountants representing the group â?? which is bankrolled by Scotlandâ??s richest man Jim McColl and motor tycoon Douglas Park â?? will open talks with current owner Charles Green.

The offer will not be near the £20million suggested by the Green camp.

But Smith & Co hope the Yorkshire businessman can be persuaded to take a tidy profit and quickly step aside to allow the fansâ?? choice to take control of Gers.

Meanwhile, Smith is on holiday in France contemplating his next move in the bid to secure the future of the club.

SunSport can reveal:

Smith will not be chairman or a director of football of the new Rangers, should his group wrest control.

Ally McCoist will remain as boss over the next two seasons and wonâ??t be held hostage to results.

Smith may not even take a seat on any football or business board. His main concern is to put the right people in charge to ensure Gers never again fall into the shameful state they are in now.

Should his â??Dream Teamâ?? bid fail, there is no chance of Smith returning to Ibrox as part of the Green regime.

The Group will invest significant money in the infrastructure of Ibrox and Murray Park.

Smith will battle to encourage new investment into Gers and when that has been achieved he will step down.

Smith, the only man the Rangers fans trust to unite their shattered club, has been courted by every regime and failed bid since Whyte bought over Sir David Murrayâ??s 85.3 per cent majority shareholding in Gers for £1.

He has stayed on the sidelines though, and is only involved now because he feels McColl and Park have Rangersâ?? interests at heart and are not in this to make money.

The consortium want to organise crunch talks over the weekend and begin the process of trying to land Rangers.

But Green holds all the cards now as McColl and Park waited until the 11th hour to make their move.

Now Smith and his backers face a nervous weekend as they prepare to start negotiations with Sevco.

He was offered a boardroom position by shamed former owner Whyte but declined it.

Green will get the same answer, so turning down this offer and trying to keep Smith in the loop is not an option for the new owners.

Now the test for Green will be if he wants to fight a bloody battle with the fans or bow to pressure and accept the offer that is looming.

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz1xubxsozv

Doesn't read like Smith will be at Rangers in any capacity just the Group being allowed to use his name and benefit from his great relationship with us.

Not the best of Articles and not something i'd expect from Walter Smith to be honest, i'd expect him to be more involved.

There isn't a single relevant quote from Walter or anyone else in the article, so it would be foolish to make any judgements based on it.

What team does Iain King support btw? (just out of curiosity)

These stories will come up and come up, but hey get a grip who's the daddy?

Charles Green is in control like it or leave it...if Walter comes in, well problem solved (uncharted achievements in how to run a massive institution) really?

Do want Rangers to be run by a Rangers fan with lots of money and no business experience?

Or a business man with lots of money and business experience?

Do want Rangers to be run by a Rangers fan with lots of money and no business experience?

Or a business man with lots of money and business experience?

Neither. I'd opt for McColl who's a Rangers man with business experience.

There's a reason why Smith has backed him. It's because he always has been the best man for the job whether he wants it or not.

As for chairman (and the rest of the board while we're at it) I REALLY WOULD trust their judgement on that one.

I would understand if both Walter Smith and McColl declined a place on the board. These guys only want what's best for the club and as much as McColl would be my own preference for chairman I'm sure that the collective thinking in that group would surprise us all with a good alternative.