I donâ??t do walking .. and I wonâ??t do talking

Says Gers boss Ally McCoist

HE trusts one man with his life.

The other he barely knows.

But Ally McCoist has told Charles Green and Walter Smith he wants no part in their showdown talks over Rangers future.

Itâ??s glaringly obvious which side of the table boss McCoist would sit on if he was involved in the Ibrox power struggle.

But last night, in an exclusive interview with SunSport, he insisted he must take a step back for the overall good of the club.

He said: â??I think discussions will happen now because Charles is very keen for it to happen. To be fair to be him, heâ??s not hidden the fact heâ??s open to dialogue with anybody. Iâ??d imagine that will happen.

â??But at the same time, I canâ??t get involved.

â??The club as a whole is my issue. The players, the SPL and SFA â?? they are all my immediate issues.

â??I just want whatâ??s best for this club and its supporters. That has never changed through this and will not change. I need to concentrate all my thoughts on that and thatâ??s exactly what Iâ??ll be doing.

â??The situation is only an awkward one if I allow it to be.

â??Walter is a very intelligent man as everyone knows. Jim McColl is equally intelligent. They â?? with Charles Green â?? appreciate I canâ??t get involved in that side of things. Itâ??s not my issue.

â??Iâ??m the manager of the club, not the owner. I do whatâ??s best for the investors, players and the fans.

â??If Charles and Walter want to talk â?? and Iâ??m sure they will â?? then great. Dialogue and openness is vital if weâ??re to move forward as a club.â?

McCoist himself held clear-the-air talks with owner Green but the dust appears to have settled there.

The Ibrox boss has returned to his family holiday in Portugal where heâ??ll stay while the boardroom talks are conducted. What McCoist urges, though, is that both parties get around the table as soon as possible.

He added: â??Iâ??ve had good meetings and conversations with Charles in the last few days. I also had a long chat with Malcolm Murray on Saturday.

â??The message Iâ??d want to get across is that everybody is appreciative of the fact there must be dialogue if weâ??re to move forward, and more importantly if the club is to move forward.

â??There has to be dialogue, whether thatâ??s between Walter and Charles, the SFA and SPL, Jim McColl and myself, as soon as possible. Let the meetings and discussions start now.â?

Rangers are in danger of seeing all their players leave for free. Union reps at PFA Scotland believe the new club has no hold over anyone who doesnâ??t want their contract to transfer across from the now defunct Rangers.

McCoist admitted: â??Iâ??ve no idea what the players are thinking and Iâ??d be lying if I told you otherwise.

â??Iâ??m due to have conversations with a couple in the next day or so. I just need to touch base and let them know where we are and keep them up to speed with whatâ??s happening.

â??Again, though, these are issues I just donâ??t know about. Itâ??s not through a lack of trying to find out. We just donâ??t know.

â??There is talk of things like the TUPE regulations and players being allowed to leave for reduced fees.

â??The signing embargo has still to be discussed again by the SFAâ??s second panel.

â??There are still some major issues to develop and hopefully sort out. But, listen, weâ??re well up for it.â?

The off-the-field strife has taken its toll on McCoist. Itâ??s little wonder given everything thatâ??s gone on, but the situation hasnâ??t beaten the 49-year-old and is unlikely to.

Asked if he was more positive about Rangersâ?? future than he was previously, he added: â??I am slightly more positive than I have been, but letâ??s not kid anyone on. Iâ??ve said that 10, 15, 20 times now in the last year.

â??I think my optimism and positivity have certainly been put to the test in the last 12 months. But that positivity is something I think it is important to have.

â??The support need to hear that from me. More importantly they need an honesty from me which they will continue to get, always. I can absolutely reassure them of that.â?

A standing ovation as he entered Ibrox for the creditorsâ?? meeting which sealed Gersâ?? fate last week was a humbling moment for McCoist and served as a reminder of why the club means so much to him.

He added: â??If ever it did go to the back of my mind, and I can promise you it never has, what that did was remind me where my duty lies.

â??Thatâ??s representing those fans in the best way I can, to the best of my abilities. I can guarantee that will never change.â?

I think a lot of people have this idea that, as they approach their second half of life, things will ease down, relax a bit, they can take a day's drive down to Largs or whatever. It certainly hasn't happened to me; money and family worries seem to get worse rather than better, and uncertainties increase instead of decreasing.

At least I don't have to try to maintain dignity with the pressure of several million other peoples' hopes and fears on my shoulders.

Ally, I wish you all the very best. If things don't work out I thank you for trying.

SuperAlly forever!

Guest Bears R Us
Sounds like Ally has realised he was used as a bit of a pawn in the power struggle and he's not best please with both sides.

I think you might have got that 100% correct.

Guest bluebell12

I don't think Walter would need to involve McCoist. Ally knows he can't take any sides even if he does have opinions. Walter doesn't need his support as fans already stand by him. I think there is more going on behind the scenes than we'll get to know and Ally is right not to comment.