NEIL LENNON claimed last night’s hammering by Ajax would HELP Celtic’s bid to qualify for the Champions League group stages.

The Hoops boss saw his SPL champions ripped apart by the dominant Dutch.

Lenny, though, believes the heavy defeat shows his players what they need to do to beat HJK Helsinki in the crucial qualifier.

He said: “You learn a lot about a team in defeat. You pick a lot up and we’re not demoralised by any manner or means.

“We do know there are a lot of improvements to make. There were glimpses of forward play we want to see but we’re trying to get up to speed.

“We’re looking for a formation that suits us so that’s something we need to do more work on.

“We’ve already learned a lot from Ajax. It’s a marker for where we are and where we need to be for the Champions League.

“We’re still in pre-season mode but now we really need to knuckle down ahead of the Norwich and Inter Milan games.”

Celtic were pulled apart after Lennon opted to field an experimental 3-5-2 formation.

The Hoops also had Charlie Mulgrew sent off for handball which led to Ajax’s fourth from the penalty spot.

Lennon added: “I’m not going to criticise the players. I’ll take the rap for the first half because I decided to change things about.

“I took a gamble with the back three but you might as well try it just now. I’ll take the rap for that.

“But we gifted the second and third goals to them. We weren’t creating enough going forward but the second half was better.

“It’s obvious we’re behind the likes of Ajax in terms of their movement. They looked a bit sharper and fitter than us.”

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4442884/Neil-Lennon-This-4-0-thrashing-by-Ajax-will-make-us-better.html#ixzz21LK9VGvi

Highlights: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/ajax-4-celtic-0-pre-season-friendly-july-21-2012/

Edited by ian1964

Lennon added: “I’m not going to criticise the players. I’ll take the rap for the first half because I decided to change things about.

“I took a gamble with the back three but you might as well try it just now. I’ll take the rap for that.

Bet it won't be too long until he's saying the opposite. What a fanny.

Edited by 54andcounting
sphelling

Why is this on here?

Bears complain about ******** being obsessed with us yet.......

Football chat springs to mind.

Cant be naive to think posting anything about Celtic isnt a allowed on a forum.

If it was Ajax 0-4 Mhanks then Id be chopping Ians fingers off myself :thup:

Guest Dutchy
Tenner on Hearts to win the SPL now.

They are absolute shite. All it takes is 1 half decent side and they get shown up. Pete are Ajax any good at the moment?

They just won the Eridivise.

What is it about septic and Dutch teams, another 4-0 drubbing, gald to see he's taking the blame as it's all his doing.

Never mind Greek and Turkish teams, Helsinki will be hell for nell.