THE doctors told him he would never play again.

Kevin Kyle told them they were talking rubbish.

Written off by the experts because of a hip problem, former Scotland star Kyle was staring early retirement in the face.

The easy thing would have been to listen.

Instead, Kyle ignored the experts and looked for a second opinion. It was a gamble that paid off.

Now Kyle, 31, is a Rangers player and desperate to be part of a new era at Ibrox.

Hitman Kyle, who made his debut in the 4-0 win over East Fife on Tuesday night, said: â??Iâ??m still in shock about the whole thing.

â??I really enjoyed my debut and it was a long time coming. Iâ??ve waited 19 months to kick a ball again so Iâ??m delighted.

â??Itâ??s great to be here at Rangers, what an opportunity. I only got 10 minutes, but it was great to be on the park again.

â??It was a proud moment being out there playing for Rangers. It was an even prouder moment for myself that I never gave up and kept going. I never doubted I could get myself fit and get back playing.

â??Itâ??s hard when youâ??re sent to dummies who tell you that you will never play again.

â??But itâ??s amazing what happens when you work with the right people â?? you get back playing football.

â??When youâ??ve a hip problem and you get sent for a hernia operation and then a groin op, and then another hip operation that didnâ??t fix my tear what chance have you got?

â??I spent the best part of two to three months researching with this guy and he said: â??Iâ??m not going in to your hip until I know whatâ??s wrong with itâ??.

â??He invited me down before Christmas and showed me my hip on a 3D picture and diagnosed what he thought was wrong with me.

â??Then I had to finance the op and PFA England paid for my operation.

â??I parted company with Hearts and worked solely with Alex MacQueen for four months and here I am.

â??The surgeon said thereâ??s not a great deal wrong with my hip, itâ??s in good condition and I just had a tear from the graft they put in years ago.

â??He tidied all that up and said hopefully I would be fine. He had no worries about it. But to wait 14 months to get to that point, thatâ??s whatâ??s frustrating.

â??I lost about 17 months of my career at Sunderland because of this problem, then another 18 when I was at Hearts. People talk about Kevin Kyle being injury prone.

â??But these are the only injuries Iâ??ve had in my life. I could sit and moan about what Iâ??ve lost, but whatâ??s the point? Hopefully people can see Iâ??m over it all and now I can just enjoy my football at Rangers.â?

Once Kyleâ??s fully fit, thereâ??s no doubt Gers will have a player who will score goals for fun and rag-doll defences.

The big striker scored 18 goals in 43 games for Kilmarnock and 10 in 22 for Hearts.

He is desperate to repay gaffer Ally McCoist for resurrecting his career and added: â??Itâ??s just great to be back playing.

â??People say when you retire from football you struggle to find things to do. Thatâ??s exactly how I felt.

â??I hated going to the shops with the wife on a Saturday and I hated listening to the scores coming in on the radio and watching Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports News.

â??I just kept asking myself what I was doing, but now Iâ??m at the other end of it and the double bonus is I get to do it playing for Rangers.

â??When I knew I was close to fitness I phoned Jim Jefferies at Dunfermline.

â??I said to Jim I would come in and train with them. I told my wife whatever happens, I would push myself to the limit to make sure I could play again.

â??If it didnâ??t happen then that was it. But before I walked into Dunfermline I was struggling psychologically.

â??I wondered if my hip was going to hold out, but after that first training session I thought: â??I feel alright hereâ??. Then I did the next one and the next one and the next one.

â??I played 20 minutes in a couple of bounce games and that was the first time I thought I was OK.

â??When you are out for 18 months itâ??s all very well people telling you that you will be fine. Itâ??s your own self-belief that matters most.

â??Now Iâ??ve got that and Iâ??m out training at Murray Park without a care in the world.

â??Rangers can have me striking balls all day if they want or can stick me on the treadmill after training and get me to do it day after day.

â??Iâ??m 31 but I feel like Iâ??m 21.

â??It doesnâ??t matter where they are playing, itâ??s still Rangers.

â??There were nearly 40,000 fans here against East Fife. Itâ??s still the same club and is a great opportunity for me.â?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...high-club.html

This is an interesting insight.

It tells you that Scottish players are more aware of the physical performance aspects of the game than they are often given credit for.

For what it is worth, I believe Kyle has the capability to get himself into good physical condition at Rangers, and to stay that way (using the right training and maintenance/injury prevention methods).