I canâ??t support you, Charles.. Walterâ??s trying to buy Gers and he has been my pal for

ITâ??S the most important relationship at the club.

Charles Green instantly agrees with that.

Yet the Sevco frontman snubbed opportunities to meet Ally McCoist in the weeks leading up to the £5.5million takeover of Rangers â?? because he didnâ??t see the point.

Even after the new owners were installed, the Yorkshireman then advised manager McCoist to support Walter Smith as the legendary Ibrox boss, backed by wealthy Scots businessman Jim McColl, tried to offer Sevco an immediate return on their money.

For Green it was all about principles.

Heâ??d already carried out due diligence on the clubâ??s record goalscorer, speaking to people such as Graeme Souness for character checks. Feedback was nothing but positive.

And when it came to Light Blues godfather and mentor Smith, realistic Green felt McCoist had to align himself with the nine-in-a-row boss.

Their relationship remains a work in progress, but the Gers chief executive wouldnâ??t swap McCoist for anyone. Not even the shocking defeat to Stirling Albion affected his belief in the supportersâ?? idol.

Of the early days and now, Green told SunSport: â??Three or four times Duff & Phelps said to me â??Do you want to meet Ally?â??. I said no.

â??It confused them like mad because everybody else who had been looking at the club had sat down with Ally and discussed things with him.

â??Now Iâ??d never met Ally, but Iâ??d known of him and seen him on Question of Sport and all the other things on telly. Iâ??d spoken to two or three people in football who knew him, Souness for example, and theyâ??d talked highly of him. So I had knowledge of Ally.

â??In any case I wondered what Ally would have been able to tell me, particularly with questions I needed answered.

â??When I eventually did buy the club, almost immediately it was said that there were big problems between me and him, that we didnâ??t get on and he was thinking of quitting.

â??We were actually working very closely together.

â??I remember meeting with Ally at the time Walter Smith was looking at buying the club.

â??Ally said to me â??Charles, Iâ??m in a really difficult position here. I canâ??t come out and support you because Walterâ??s trying to buy the club, heâ??s been my pal for 20 yearsâ??.

â??I said â??Well, let me make it easy for you. If you can come out and support me in this situation then youâ??re no good to me. Thatâ??s because if you can be disloyal to Walter, youâ??ll also be disloyal to meâ??.

â??So I advised him to support Walter. I made it clear that if he could pull it off, we would sell to him and everything would be fine.

â??But I also stressed to Ally that after this there could be no more. I told him this club had to get on.

â??We were in a room dealing with the SFA and the SPL and I had Bomber Brown out there one week and Walter the next week.

â??Instead of being with my kids down in Devon, I was making all the decisions on the future of Rangers Football Club while no one wanted me here. The fans didnâ??t want me, these other buyers didnâ??t want me.

â??But I just kept on looking round â?? there was only me and Ally there.

â??Now, of course, I have a great relationship with Ally and a great relationship with Walter. I see Walter regularly at games. We get on well.â?

Green has enormous regard for McCoist both as a person and manager. So much so he canâ??t ever imagine sacking him.

He said: â??People ask whatâ??s the most important relationship at the football club. Well, itâ??s not between the centre forward and the right winger. Itâ??s between the chief executive and the manager.

â??And Ally, apart from being a Rangers legend and the all-time top goalscorer, is a very bright guy.

â??He is not what Iâ??d call a typical football manager. Ally is very intelligent, heâ??s very articulate, he understands both the playing side and the other parts of running this business.

â??Thereâ??s no chance of me sacking Ally.

â??He knows better than anyone, having played for the club, whatâ??s expected by Rangers fans, by the club, by the board of directors.

â??I could bring in another manager tomorrow. I could have easily done it in the summer when there were a few approaches from people after we bought the club over. It was non-stop. But it was never a consideration for me to move on Ally.

â??What we have here is a man who understands the history and the culture of Rangers. He has come through the most difficult circumstances possible.

â??And because of the pride and passion he has, he knows and is focused on where he wants to get the club back to. That is good enough for me.

â??But of course there is still a need to deliver, for Ally as it is for Charles Green and everyone else at the club.

â??The investors have been around long enough to know that form is temporary and class is permanent.

â??Stirling was a wobble, but these guys have bought in for a five to ten-year strategy, not whether we win on Saturday or win or lose next Wednesday.

â??Itâ??s where we are over the next few years that matters to them.â?

McCoistâ??s public endorsement of Green in the middle of August changed the mood towards the then mystery Englishman. Suddenly, those fans whoâ??d wanted to run him out of town were requesting autographs and photos.

But Green is adamant his vote of confidence for the boss has nothing to do with pay-back or even the proposed £20m share issue.

He said: â??I believe he is the right man for the job. Nothing else comes into it.

â??If I didnâ??t think he was the right man then Iâ??d fire him.

â??I think loyalty is the most important thing in life. If youâ??ve got no loyalty youâ??ve got nothing.

â??And Ally, first of all, is loyal to Rangers Football Club.

â??I donâ??t believe Iâ??ll ever, ever, have to call Ally into this office and fire him.

â??I think when Ally gets to a point where he doesnâ??t believe that he can take it any further, heâ??ll tell me.

â??But I think weâ??re years away from that.

â??I honestly wouldnâ??t swap Ally and his staff for any other management team.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4605776/I-cant-support-you-Charles-Walters-trying-to-buy-Gers-and-he-has-been-my-pal-for-20-years.html#ixzz2AAPKzwYu

well green clearly doesnt know football.

But he knows business and how important certain people are to that business you could say?

I like what he's said there. I also think the fact Walter is still going to Ibrox as a punter and talking to Green says a lot. It means he respects him and trust him (to a degree) IMO

This was a good read