We'll be celebrating 140 years of football

I0000iZ8I9sAhNfs.jpg

Rangers promote the 140 year anniversary of the founding of the football club:.Robbie Crawford, Charlie Miller, Alex Rae, Derek Johnstone, Alex McDonald, Willie Johnston with Willie Henderson, Ian McMillan, Sandy Jardine, Andy Bain and Davie Wilson. Supporter Andy Bain has only missed three Rangers games since 1934. (Willie Vass)

Copyright: 2012 Willie Vass

More...

Celebrating Our History Written by Rangers Football Club

ada34cd2101afafaba465aad112ee3c1_XL.jpg

RANGERS will commemorate its 140th anniversary year with a celebration of the Club’s history at the Stirling Albion game on Saturday 8 December 2012.

Legends of yesteryear will join modern day heroes at Ibrox Stadium in early December as the Light Blues mark the formation of the Club in 1872 and 140 years of success.

From the Founding Fathers to the Cup Winners’ Cup triumph in 1972 and 9 in a Row, a host of Rangers legends will be in attendance on the day and will take to the pitch to create a visual celebration of the Club’s 140 years.

A total of 54 league championships, 33 Scottish Cups, 27 League Cups and the 1972 Cup Winners’ Cup Final have all been won since Moses McNeil, Peter McNeil, Peter Campbell and William McBeath founded Rangers in 1872 and every title won will be celebrated at Ibrox on December 8.

2012 has been a difficult year for everyone associated with the Club but the supporters, staff, players, management team and Directors will unite to salute the Club’s history as some of the men who have made Rangers great appear on the hallowed Ibrox pitch once again.

The celebrations on the day will be split into six distinct eras….

•Founding Fathers (1872-1910)

•The Struth Era (1920s, 1930s and 1940s)

•Post War (1950s & 1960s)

•Barcelona (1970s & 1980s)

•9 in a Row (1990s)

•The Record Breaking Years (2000-present)

There will also be a 140th anniversary card display in the stands, fans will display banners celebrating the Club’s history, a commemorative matchday programme will be available and the first team will wear a top referencing the 140th anniversary.

Rangers legends Sandy Jardine, Derek Johnstone, Davie Wilson, Alex MacDonald, Ian McMillan, Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston, Alex Rae and Charlie Miller joined first-team youngster Robbie Crawford and one of the Club’s oldest fans Andy Bain at Ibrox today to promote the 140th anniversary activity.

Jardine, who is helping oversee the 140th anniversary celebrations for the Club, said: “There is no doubt 2012 has been a turbulent year for Rangers but it is still important to recognise and celebrate our 140 year history and we will do that formally at the Stirling Albion game in December.

“Supporters, players, staff and Directors will all unite to celebrate our history at Ibrox next month and it will be a fantastic afternoon for Rangers.

"This football club has so much to be proud of and we will never forget the trophies we have won, the players who have graced the hallowed turf and the memories we have created for millions around the world.

“It was an honour and privilege to pull on the Rangers jersey during my playing days and I am very proud to work for this great institution.

"December 8 will be a fantastic occasion for everyone associated with Rangers and I am looking forward to meeting up with a few old friends on the day.”

A host of former players will be in attendance at Ibrox on December 8 – Lorenzo Amoruso, Arthur Numan, Michael Mols, Richard Gough, Colin Stein, Harold Davis, Willie Johnston and Willie Henderson have already confirmed - and more names will be revealed on Rangers Media channels in due course.

Tickets for the 140th anniversary celebration match are on sale now priced £16 for adults, £12 for concessions and just £5 for kids.

Call 0871 702 1972, log on to http://www.rangers.co.uk or visit the Rangers Ticket Centre at Ibrox. Hospitality packages are also available from £75 per person + VAT.

As part of the 140th anniversary celebrations there will also be a dinner on Friday 7th December with a number of Rangers legends attending including Gough, Mols, Hateley, Mark Walters and Bert Konterman.

The dinner takes place in the Thornton Suite at Ibrox Stadium and the package includes a drinks reception, a three-course dinner, a commemorative programme and a Q&A with Rangers legends.

Tickets are priced £79 + VAT per person or £750 + VAT for a table of 10. Supporters can e-mail events@rangers.co.ukThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 0871 702 1972 (option 2) to book places.

I may be alone here but I really hate the term Founding Fathers

I'd say that to most people (even outside the USA) the use of that term relates directly to Franklin, Jefferson, Washington and the other folk who signed the US Declaration of Independence, set up the US Constitution etc.