An idea for league reconstruction....

The biggest improvement that could be made is to split all gate money 50/50 for every game.

Two leagues at the top and a southern and northern league below, with the one up one down automatically and playoffs.

Summer football is a no-brainer.

1 The crowds would increase.

2 the quality of the football would improve

3 sponsorship and UK wide interest would increase as we would be playing when the EPL was on holiday.

The biggest improvement that could be made is to split all gate money 50/50 for every game.

Two leagues at the top and a southern and northern league below, with the one up one down automatically and playoffs.

Summer football is a no-brainer.

1 The crowds would increase.

2 the quality of the football would improve

3 sponsorship and UK wide interest would increase as we would be playing when the EPL was on holiday.

Agree with all that except the 50/50 gate split, where I would move on is the TV money should be split evenly between the clubs and any money Rangers gather from worldwide sales on their own TV the team we are playing should get a cut of this money.

Agree with all that except the 50/50 gate split, where I would move on is the TV money should be split evenly between the clubs and any money Rangers gather from worldwide sales on their own TV the team we are playing should get a cut of this money.

The problem with the gate money split at the moment is that the gap between the big two (once we're back) and the rest will always get bigger and bigger, with the result that the smaller clubs will be unable to develop in a way that makes the Scottish league stronger. Give Motherwell two big paydays a season and it will transform their operation. All the other clubs realise that they have to develop talent in order to sell on; sharing the OF gates 50/50 will give them that bit more money to do just that. The Of will always be hugely bigger than the rest (18 paydays for us compared to 2 for every other team)

The alternative is to adopt a Revenue Share like they do in Baseball. In the 15 years since they introduce revenue sharing, the top two teams by market share/fan base (Yankees and Red Sox) have won it 5 times. There have been 7 other winners, including small market teams like the cardinals and new teams like the diamondbacks and marlins. In Baseball, you never know who will end up winning the divisions or leagues and it's much healthier as a result.

I'd hate to split the money with SPL teams out of principle. Not sharing means that you can give your money to the club you support and not someone you don't want to give a penny to.

I can't see how the OF would compete in Europe with that model.

I can't see how the OF would compete in Europe with that model.

That's part of the whole idea....give other clubs a wee bite of the cherry & some financial reward. In order to make Scottish football strong again, I think the powers at be need to focus on the overall picture, not just the OF.

I don't see how it makes Scottish football stronger as the total resources would be the same just shared out differently. So where is the strength? And it makes the top teams very much weaker in Europe. Not only that it means our top players will leave to other shores as there will be no clubs able to compete on their wages with bigger clubs from bigger countries and so you get a bigger talent drain than before.

You also don't have the benefit of lifting your game due to talented players from abroad like Laudrup, Larsson et al as no-one can afford them.

You actually may end up with teams full of foreign journeymen as they are slightly better than the crop of home grown players left and seeing as everyone is scrabbling for the best Scottish players, these foreigners will probably be better value.

The only thing you get is a pretty even league where you really don't know who's going to beat whom. However, that may sound good but it is in fact incredibly boring - all games are equal and there are none to look out for - no big games between the big clubs, no big games for the small clubs to look forward to, you don't look at the results and see any shocks or expected wins - it's all just a bit random.

It's very hard for humans to be interested in a homogeneous pool of mediocrity.

I just can't see how you would be making the game stronger - more like destroying it in my eyes.

The problem with the gate money split at the moment is that the gap between the big two (once we're back) and the rest will always get bigger and bigger, with the result that the smaller clubs will be unable to develop in a way that makes the Scottish league stronger. Give Motherwell two big paydays a season and it will transform their operation. All the other clubs realise that they have to develop talent in order to sell on; sharing the OF gates 50/50 will give them that bit more money to do just that. The Of will always be hugely bigger than the rest (18 paydays for us compared to 2 for every other team)

The alternative is to adopt a Revenue Share like they do in Baseball. In the 15 years since they introduce revenue sharing, the top two teams by market share/fan base (Yankees and Red Sox) have won it 5 times. There have been 7 other winners, including small market teams like the cardinals and new teams like the diamondbacks and marlins. In Baseball, you never know who will end up winning the divisions or leagues and it's much healthier as a result.

I still can't stomach that we would have to give half of our season ticket sales to the rest of the league.

Why not have every team put 25% of all ticket sales in a pot and split it evenly between all the teams.

I still can't stomach that we would have to give half of our season ticket sales to the rest of the league.

Why not have every team put 25% of all ticket sales in a pot and split it evenly between all the teams.

Sounds good to me. I can see the argument that says people come to Ibrox to watch Rangers, so why should the other team get half the money; but I also see the argument that says, without two teams, you don't have a game, therefore both should get equal money. The 25% idea would probably satisfy both.