Fans Slow On Uptake Of Gers Shares

And surely no-one can deny Green has worked hard?

I don't know the answer to that one yet.

But I do think he has had a reasonable amount of success in stabilising the situation. The proof will be in where we are in five years.

I don't trust Green any more than I would trust any other CEO .... and I have seen plenty. But he will want to make money and he will be jealous of his reputation as someone who can make things happen at the highest level. The best way for him to do both is to make Rangers successful.

I am reassured that we have a broad based shareholding with quite a few institutional investors. They will be far less patient than the average football fan when it comes to the overall running of the business. Green will be more accountable than either Whyte or Murray before him.

The whole point of remunerating them in shares is as an incentive to make the business successful and the shares worth a lot. If they just get a salary then there is less incentive. Sure, they can get fired if they don't perform but there is no big upside if the do. With shares there is a huge upside for them if the club and the business is successful. Thus, as the theory goes, they will work harder and perform better.

I could see your point if their basic + bonus wasn't particularly high and they really needed their share values to be high, but their basic + bonus is anything but skimpy.

And surely no-one can deny Green has worked hard?

Lots of people work hard but don't expect to walk away with up to £5m.

I hate that argument - I remember seeing someone like Julia Roberts saying she worked her ass off for her millions. I'd like to see her work down a pit for a week for £500 and then say that again - not that I have ever done so.

Has he worked hard enough to earn five times as much as your average person earns in a lifetime? I really don't think so.

If you care to take a look back at the companies Green has previously been associated with then there's certainly a big doubt as to whether we're getting the "top quality management" we'll be paying for, his previous forays into the world of football Sheffield United, Kingsbridge Holdings and Formation Group certainly casts doubt on his business skills.

Far from making it harder for us to hold management to account abstaining from the IPO may in fact make it easier for us to do so.

You mean like we held Murray to account when he was pissing away £140 million?

I could see your point if their basic + bonus wasn't particularly high and they really needed their share values to be high, but their basic + bonus is anything but skimpy.

Honestly ... they are not out of the norm.

I don't know the answer to that one yet.

But I do think he has had a reasonable amount of success in stabilising the situation. The proof will be in where we are in five years.

I don't trust Green any more than I would trust any other CEO .... and I have seen plenty. But he will want to make money and he will be jealous of his reputation as someone who can make things happen at the highest level. The best way for him to do both is to make Rangers successful.

I am reassured that we have a broad based shareholding with quite a few institutional investors. They will be far less patient than the average football fan when it comes to the overall running of the business. Green will be more accountable than either Whyte or Murray before him.

Well he's been backwards and forwards from London and abroad regarding the shares issue, finding investment and meeting supporters. He's attended every game this season as well.

In fairness we can't know for sure I guess but he certainly appears to work hard, especially for a guy nearing his 60s.

Lots of people work hard but don't expect to walk away with up to £5m.

I hate that argument - I remember seeing someone like Julia Roberts saying she worked her ass off for her millions. I'd like to see her work down a pit for a week for £500 and then say that again - not that I have ever done so.

Has he worked hard enough to earn five times as much as your average person earns in a lifetime? I really don't think so.

Have a bunch of guys using their talented feet to kick a ball round some grass done enough to earn much more than that?

The whole point of remunerating them in shares is as an incentive to make the business successful and the shares worth a lot. If they just get a salary then there is less incentive. Sure, they can get fired if they don't perform but there is no big upside if the do. With shares there is a huge upside for them if the club and the business is successful. Thus, as the theory goes, they will work harder and perform better.

What you say seems like a good pitch for a bank but not a football club. This is a one time thing.

I can understand a developer who buys a run down house at auction, does it up and sells for market value while making a substantial profit. However, this is more akin to them selling 20% to the previous people who rented the place and love their home, but charging them 40% of the market value and then continuing to charging them full rent.

Honestly ... they are not out of the norm.

Not for a club of our size and stature certainly, but when you consider that we're currently playing in the 4th tier of Scottish football I think it could be argued that the salaries are indeed excessive. We aren't going to be offering our previous level of SPL Champions wages to players, so I don't see why club management should be getting paid so highly at this point in time. IMO they should be taking a far smaller salary at the moment with a rise each year until we're Champions again and only when we're Champions again should they be lining their pockets with huge amounts of cash + bonus + shares options.