DAVID WEIR - I felt guilty after I had left

DAVID WEIR admits he felt guilty at not being there in person to help the Rangers colleagues he had just left behind when the club hit rock bottom early last year.

The former Light Blues skipper brought his five-year spell at Ibrox to an end just over three weeks before Gers were plunged into administration.

And as he looked on at what was unfolding from his new role as a reserve coach at Everton, he wished he was still at Murray Park to lead from the front as he did so often as captain.

Weir has been heavily involved with players unions for much of his career and would have been a true guiding light for his team-mates at a time when they needed help and advice.

Instead, he was limited to giving out tips over the phone from 200 miles away and he concedes he would rather have been back in Glasgow providing support.

Weir, 42, said: “I felt guilty after I had left. I had no idea what was about to happen and I had left for the right reasons at the right time.

“I maybe even left the club a bit late if anything and with what happened in the weeks afterwards, I was disappointed I wasn’t there to help the boys and the club.

“I wished I could have played my part so I had a bit of guilt with regards to that but that was just how things panned out.

“You can’t predict the future or turn back time so it was something that was disappointing but which I had to accept and deal with.

“I still spoke to a lot of the boys at the time and any help I could give them, I tried to give them. I tried to give them help in any way I could.”

Weir was at Hampden today receiving his UEFA Pro Licence, the highest coaching qualification in the game, as part of the SFA’s coach education programme.

His return north of the border comes at a time when Rangers are in much better shape overall after a successful share issue.

On the park, Ally McCoist’s team is 17 points clear at the top of the Third Division with yesterday’s 1-1 draw with Elgin a blip in an otherwise good run of results.

Weir knows the way some of the club’s star names left for new pastures in the summer was unsavoury and left a bitter taste in the mouths of many.

But he is adamant the most important thing now is for the Light Blues to look forward and keep progressing with their talented young squad making strides.

Weir added: “Looking back, people did what they thought was right at the time and everybody went on to do things differently.

“Knowing what we know now and how things have changed, some people maybe made mistakes and could perhaps have done things better.

“But people do things for their own reasons and you can’t change anything so we’ve all got to move on. We can only affect what happens going forward.

“It is definitely a good thing that Rangers is a much healthier club now. We need to look at the positives and the benefits from that, that’s what is best for everyone.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headli...tration-guilt?