Gilmour - If I was you I would think about quitting

SPL rebel Stewart Gilmour has called on chief executive Neil Doncaster to consider his position after failing to deliver a new league set-up.

The St Mirren chairman claims Doncaster has NO power and canâ??t act in the best interests of all 12 clubs.

Gilmour denied calling a vote of no confidence in Doncaster â?? but says if a single governing body is set up, the job of bossing it â??should be advertisedâ?.

Speaking 48 hours after he and Ross County owner Roy MacGregor threw the top flight into chaos by scuppering plans for a 12-12-18 system, Gilmour said: â??Neil Doncaster needs to have a look at himself.

â??If I was him, I would consider my position.

â??I have sympathy with him, because he has a difficult job. I wouldnâ??t want it, despite the £200,000-a-year salary.

â??In his shoes, Iâ??d be asking myself â??Do I want to work as chief executive of an organisation over which I have no power?â??.

â??He has no vote when it comes down to it. Would I work as a chief executive when the clubs are making all the decisions? No.

â??Is that the role of a chief executive? No.

â??Itâ??s difficult even for him to act in the best interests of all the clubs, because the turnover of a Celtic compared to a St Mirren is night and day and therefore our interests are different.â?

Asked to comment on reports he had tried to force a vote of confidence in the former Norwich City chief, Gilmour said: â??No, not in a meeting.â?

Pressed on where he might have made the comments, he would only add: â??Iâ??m sure lots of people have spoken about the chief executive, but these arenâ??t things to go public about.â?

Gilmour then renewed his demand for a single body to unite all 42 league clubs.

Asked if he would have Doncaster as its main man, he said: â??I hope we would invite applications in the normal manner.

â??All the leaders â?? Neil, Stewart Regan and David Longmuir â?? went through hell last summer.

â??But if Mondayâ??s decision gives us one thing we didnâ??t have before, itâ??s perhaps the time we need to sort things out.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4892537/Stewart-Gilmour-If-I-was-you-I-would-think-about-quitting.html#ixzz2QlXNauPZ

STEWART GILMOUR feels like he’s been accused of cold-blooded murder.

The one thing he can’t see is a victim.

From the moment on Monday when he and Ross County owner Roy MacGregor voted down plans to reshape Scotland’s leagues to 12-12-18, they’ve been Public Enemies No1 and No2 in the eyes of fellow clubs.

But it’s Gilmour who’s taken the brunt of abuse from the lynch mob.

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne even claimed the game’s entire future was in jeopardy on the whim of one man.

Sitting in the St Mirren Park boardroom yesterday, the League Cup trophy glinting in a display cabinet behind him, Gilmour chewed over that charge for the hundredth time in 48 hours.

And he shrugged: “All I can say is, I’d love someone to sit me down and tell me what this great new dawn was that we’ve killed.

“I just don’t understand what WAS so great about these proposals. And I don’t understand why there was such a desperation to push them through.

“We as a club couldn’t see what was on the table that was so fantastic and neither could Ross County.

“We kept asking for details, but all we ever got was something called Heads Of Terms. I believe we’d have been voting for something we didn’t know enough about.

“Chief executive Neil Doncaster said TV companies were interested. Could he quantify it? No. Have I personally got my doubts over whether they were interested? Yes.

“In the end, we looked at everything as a package and felt it wasn’t taking Scottish football forward.

“We might be wrong, but that’s our opinion.

“It’s incredible to hear the chief executive say we have no sympathy with the First Division clubs, because we do. We’ve been there and so have Ross County, but many of those pushing hardest for 12-12-18 haven’t.

“Take it from me, voting Yes would have simply taken us out of the frying pan and into the fire.

“The thing is, Scottish football ISN’T dying.

“In terms of football itself, we’ve had four smashing cup semi-finals, a really good League Cup Final, a First Division match with a crowd of 9,000, we’ve got a great Scotland Under-21 team and there are a lot of good young managers and players coming in.

“So the biggest problem with Scottish football right now isn’t what happens on the pitch, it’s the financial credibility because of what’s happened at Rangers, Hearts, Dunfermline and others.

“Thankfully, we’re coming through that. Most SPL clubs are now trading within their means, but the problem for some is the debt they’re carrying.

“Would it have changed our minds on the vote had we carried that sort of debt? No, because why would we want to go back into that gambling zone?

“That’s how we saw this split of two leagues of 12 into three eights — a gambling zone.

“You get in that eight and you gamble on getting back into the Top 12 for the next season.

“We’re geared to be relegated. We’re ready for it — we don’t want it, but if it happens it happens and St Mirren Football Club will still be here if it does.

“Yes, there would be a financial loss to some clubs if we distributed money more evenly.

“But we for one would live with, say, a £100,000 drop in income for the good of the game.”

There’s no doubt, though, that for all Gilmour’s bullishness as he looked out on a paid-for stadium now complete with a £150,000 indoor training complex, he’s still stinging from the muck thrown about before, during and after this pivotal vote.

What he WANTED to say was that he’s damned if he’s going to be called a human wrecking-ball by chairmen up to their eyeballs in debt. What he DID say still didn’t cast some others in that Hampden room in a flattering light.

Gilmour said: “What troubled me was that there was an arrogance and bullying throughout the meeting which was unacceptable.

“There wasn’t a good atmosphere. There was an attitude of reconciliation from some, but unfortunately the criticism from others did get rather personal.

“I’ve been accused of self-interest, but anybody who goes to these meetings and says it’s not to look after their own club first and foremost is at it. As regards Stewart Milne’s personal outburst, it was a very emotional time. Here’s hoping that in the cold light of day, Stewart will sit down and think: ‘Maybe I was a bit over the top there’.

“He was upset and annoyed, just as many of us were. Hopefully in the next few months he’ll give me a call or shake my hand and say ‘we disagreed, but that’s life’.

“It’s not impossible for me to sit round the table with the others — in fact, I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I’ll get together today, tomorrow, any time they want. This is nothing personal, this is about running a football club within a structure we would love to see as one governing body.

“We should be able to fall out and fall in again... God knows it happens round this boardroom table often enough.

“If they came to us tomorrow and asked us to put a plan on the table, we’d keep pushing for one league body, an all-through distribution of finance, a play-off between the SPL and First Division brought in now.

“But whatever we do, let’s just get all 42 clubs together for a year or two, let’s see how everyone gets on and see whether there’s a system we all want to move to.

“What I couldn’t understand all along is why this was the only option put forward and why more clubs of similar size to St Mirren — the community clubs — weren’t openly against it as we were.

“So many of us run our businesses similarly and think similarly, but it feels like some of them voted for it even though they didn’t want it.

“That’s the other troubling side to this — there has been a lot of dishonesty. For instance, on Radio Scotland last week, Dundee chief executive Scot Gardiner said they’ll get £50,000 from the football authorities if they’re relegated.

“But he was being more than economical with the truth, because he’s now saying in interviews that they’ll get £250,000 in a parachute payment.

“I don’t understand why he would say what wasn’t true. We told SPL meetings in February and March that we were uncomfortable with what was on the table.

“The reason we couldn’t stop things at the time was there was no vote at the time, but they were well aware that both we and Ross County were not happy. Again, you tell me why anyone would claim they didn’t know this was the case?”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4892480/Buddies-boss-Killer-Show-me-the-victim.html#ixzz2QlYKrrjV

It is high time the cabal was exposed and the people who are working Doncaster from behind were named.

If Gilmour is alluding to people who are acting in a responsible way, then not everyone is part of the cabal. It is time they backed the man. What are these Heads of Terms? Why the urgency? Why the persistent lying?

Yet again bullying and lying is being ignored at the very top of Scottish football. Where is Vincent Lunny now? A chairman is threatening legal action for slander but we all know it will be ignored? What kind of message does this send out? Would you sponsor this bunch of reprobates?

Where are the massive headlines demanding the truth, the interviews with fans asking for their opinions and the call for action against the bullies?

I see the Record is stoking the flames,I wonder what Gilmour thinks about this?

Football fans show concern at the links between Charles Green and Stewart Gilmour

18 Apr 2013 08:55

THE links between Charles Green of Rangers and Stewart Gilmour of St Mirren are fascinating football fans, as GAVIN BERRY found out when he took your calls.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...medium=twitter