John Gow - Rangers have big squad, so what will the starting XI be?

With the new signings coming in, and the injuries from last season clearing up, who Ally McCoist will play in the starting eleven arrives is a question many Rangers fans are asking.

Itâ??s doubtful the manager knows exactly who will be in the first team just yet, since the full squad will probably change between now and the end of the transfer window. Being unable to play all the recent acquisitions until the transfer registration ban ends on Sept. 1 -- three weeks after the Second Division opener against Brechin Aug. 10 -- doesn't help, either.

But if we have a little fun and pretend itâ??s a perfect situation and the current squad is final, while knowing that any team predicted now will almost certainly be wrong, here are the players I think McCoist would pick:

Formation

Last season the Gers were very rigid in their one up-front policy, but with the signings of Nicky Clark and Jon Daly, you would have to believe the team will play a version of 4-4-2.

Goalkeeper

Cammy Bell -- No surprises here. The new signing will start for Rangers when he is able to register with the SFA.

Defence

Richard Foster -- McCoist likes experience, and with his previous time at the club the Rangers manager knows Foster well. Some fans are unhappy with this signing, but Foster is the best right-back at the club. Andy Mitchell will hopefully run him close.

Lee McCulloch -- The club captain will not beat Daly, Clark or even Andy Little to a forward position, but he will not be left out the team, either. His strength, heading and ability to read the game will mean he will play at the back.

Emilson Cribari -- This is a player I have never been keen on, but McCoist seems to like him. Itâ??s quite possible a new centre-half will come in and take this place anyway, but with the criteria I am using here â??- the Brazilian would probably be picked before Ross Perry and Chris Hegarty.

Steven Smith -- The signing of Smith had a similar reaction as Foster's. Some fans happy with it, some appalled. But, like Foster, McCoist knows Smith well and feels secure with his experience. I donâ??t think he has been signed to cover the left-back area, I think he has signed to be the left-back.

Midfield

David Templeton -- One of the Light Bluesâ?? best players, and on his game a class act. He didnâ??t perform as well as he should last season, and at times went through the motions (as most of the squad did), but it is still a real coup to have him in the Second Division. Here is what he can do when in the mood.

Lewis Macleod -- Lewis has been the one youngster who has become an automatic start. If he progresses the way he has recently then Rangers will sell him in the next few years for a healthy profit. His quiet efficiency hides how valuable he is to the Rangers team. Itâ??s only when he is missing that itâ??s easy to see how everything revolves around him.

Nicky Law -- The new signing from Motherwell was one of the top SPL players last season and, like Templeton, itâ??s fantastic to see him in a Rangers jersey at this level. Supporters will be hoping for more of this.

Lee Wallace â?? Here is the most controversial positional movement. I could be badly wrong, but I have a feeling, and heard some whispers, that McCoist might move Wallace from left-back to the midfield. It makes sense as the Gers vice-captain makes tremendous runs up the left and is often the teamâ??s most vibrant attacker.

Forwards

Nicky Clark -- Scoring 40 goals in 45 appearances for last season's Second Division champions, Queen of the South, shows that if anyone has the beating of the third-tier defences -- it is this man. There will be added pressure, and a difference in style from last season, but he wonâ??t be on the bench when eligible to play. He will start.

Jon Daly -- The Irishman is another good SPL standard player and he wonâ??t be going to Ibrox to make up the numbers. Itâ??s possible that he may help out in the defence if needed, but he has pointed out McCoist said he will be a striker. On paper the big target man looks like the perfect match with Clark. Some of his goals from last season here, here and here.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/rangers/id/5417?&cc=5739

I think it would be harsh on Andy Little to not be a starter next season.

Competition for places is there now and the likes of Hutton, Black and Shiels have it all to do to convince everyone they should play. But Peralta is another who will be pushing for a place.

I like Wallace at LB, not sure if he can be a out and out winger....Templeton should be LM for me.

I think we should be looking more at 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 this season but the signings of Foster and Smith say that 4 at the back will be played.

It will probably be nothing very popular, but I still believe that the team has quality and experience enough to switch line-ups according to the opposition and the game in progress. Hence, at home I would actually go 3-5-2, with the holding midfielder(s) covering the back, as do the wingers, in times of need. We should make sure that most of the game is being played in the opposition's half anyway. Example ...

Bell

Foster - Cribari - Smith

Peralta

Little* - Law/Macleod - Templeton - McKay

Daly - Clark

*More inside right than right winger, Peralta can cover that wing too, should Little be inside. Foster sure has the speed to help Cribari out, Macleod and Law too have engine enough to hare after the opposition - should we lose the ball.

Likewise, we might approach a more cautios 4-5-1 in cup games away from home ...

Bell

Foster - Faure - Cribari - Wallace

Peralta

Little - Law - Macleod - Templeton

Daly

... with Little and Templeton being free to join the lone striker.

As I say, by now we've got the players able to adjust themselves to the game and play in natural positions. We can even substitutes with "like-for-like". By "default", it should be better to watch and more consistent.