What's the point of the SFA?

A genuine question, although it may not be Rangers Chat exactly.

Apparently, they don't have the tools to exclude anyone who may not be, in the time honoured but generally ignored expression, fit and proper. We should know! They may enforce discipline after the fact, but as Hearts, Rangers, Dunfermline et al have shown, this is generally little more than an expression of gleeful revenge by rival fans than any meaningful deterrent to like behaviour by others.

Apparently, they were no more than a bystander during the merger/takeover/final fuck up of the game we saw over the summer, despite offering to act as honest broker.

They cannot enforce any form of coaching on the game which might drive clubs and national team forward.

They cannot create facilities in any meaningful numbers which might encourage participation, nor strike sponsorship deals with companies which might send out a genuinely health-conscious message. MacDonalds or a Mars Bar, anyone?

Other than providing office space for various warring factions to haggle and barter like old women at the fish market, they don't seem to do much at all, and I expect any number of office solution companies could do that without requiring the sort of wage Stewart Regan is paid.

In a time when every penny is a prisoner, I don't see why we need to hold on to this relic of the past at all. If you think they are incompetent or absolutely trustworthy doesn't really matter: if they don't actually DO anything, why keep them on?

The SFA organise Association football matches which generate 7 figure sums which they use to pay themselves wonderful salaries. Now I don't grudge anyone from making a decent living but I expect something in return. The SFA have overseen our national game turn into a shambles since the 80's and their only solution is to form 'Think Tanks' every 15 years.