Neil Lennon’s relaxed about Celtic fans’ conduct

637549731.jpg

CELTIC manager Neil Lennon is relishing a return to Friday night football and believes the latest instalment involving his club will not be tarnished by events off the pitch.

The Scottish champions will look to take another step towards clinching a third successive title when they face Kilmarnock at Rugby Park this evening.

Celtic’s last outing under the Friday night lights saw them produce one of their best displays of the campaign when they dismantled Motherwell with a scintillating 5-0 victory at Fir Park in December.

But the performance was overshadowed by damage caused to seats in the stand housing Celtic supporters, some of whom also let off flares and smoke bombs. It prompted the club to take action against the controversial Green Brigade section of their support, provisionally suspending 128 fans from matches and relocating 250 of their home season-ticket holders.

Lennon, who last month welcomed the return of the Green Brigade to Celtic Park when they purchased a block of tickets for a different section of the stadium for the league game against St Johnstone, is hopeful nothing will detract from his team’s efforts on the pitch tonight.

“I like Friday night football and I’m really looking forward to it,” said Lennon. “I just think the atmosphere is a bit better at the Friday night games.

“I hope we play as well as we did the last time at Motherwell. I know we had a few problems at the last one, but I’m pretty confident there won’t be a repeat of that.”

Celtic return to action after a free weekend due to their elimination from the Scottish Cup but Lennon is still counting the cost of his players’ involvement in international duty the previous midweek.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/neil-lennon-s-relaxed-about-celtic-fans-conduct-1-3340105