Rangers fail in bid to land Gow

Hughes wants �£500k for Gow

Falkirk manager John Hughes has told Rangers to forget about landing Alan Gow this month - unless they are willing to pay �£500,000 for him.

Bairns chiefs have already rejected an offer of �£100,000 from Rangers for the 24-year-old forward, as new boss Walter Smith attempts to bolster his squad.

Wolves have also failed with a bid and Hughes claims two Barclays Premiership clubs have now expressed an interest in the striker, along with a host of Coca-Cola Championship outfits.

However, with a CIS Insurance Cup final place up for grabs and their Bank of Scotland Premier League position fluctuating between top six and the relegation danger area, Hughes insists Gow will not be allowed to leave Falkirk on the cheap.

"We don't have to sell him," he said. "We're desperate to keep him.

"If we keep Alan Gow at the club, I'm quite sure we can get to a cup final and he can keep us in the top six. The revenue from that would be worthwhile.

"Our aim is to stay in the SPL and `Gowser' has a big part to play in that.

"If someone wants him, we'd be talking about half a million, maybe a wee bit more We need to get real."

Despite interest from south of the border, Ibrox remains the most likely destination for self-confessed Rangers fan Gow.

Hughes said: "I don't know if Rangers were just testing the water with that offer.

"They're probably aware that Gowser is a Rangers supporter but we hold all the cards.

"He's more than welcome to go and talk to them and sign a pre-contract agreement but, unless we get the money we feel we should get, he will remain at Falkirk until the end of the season."

The Falkirk boss added: "When Celtic came banging on the door for me, money didn't come into it - the lure of playing for Glasgow Celtic was too much.

"So I know the pull of the Old Firm and I can understand how Gowser might be feeling.

"But business is business."

Meanwhile, Hughes has been named Bank of Scotland Premier League Manager of the Month for December, while Darren Barr has picked up the Young Player award.

The Bairns boss predicts the 21-year-old defender will be the next Falkirk player to find his way onto other clubs' wanted lists.

"I see him as a young Russell Anderson," said Hughes. "He still has miles to go to get to that stage but he's got it in him.

"I've got to be honest, I've already had people on the phone enquiring about him.

"It's worrying but thankfully we've got him tied up on a three-year contract.

"I'd say he's one for the future - but he's already doing the business just now."

I can't say i disagree with any of that really the benefits of keeping him will probably be more than 100.000. I see it becoming a pre-contract.