RSA Annual 1954/55 - Fantastic words from Bill Struth & Billy McCandless

Guest Bob Agg

Guest Bob Agg

There are more than a few fantastic articles in the 1954/55 Rangers Supporters Association Annual, however these two in my opinion are the pick of the bunch.

The foreword by Bill Struth would've been one of his last addresses to the Rangers support as he retired from the Managers office, & is as you would expect quite inspirational. The second is a letter from Billy McCandless, our record Irish signing for £2,500 from Linfield in 1920. In his 10 years at Ibrox, he won 8 League Titles. His management record is also quite extraordinary! He won the 3rd Division down south 3 years in a row, with 3 different Clubs.

CB66207E-23BA-4FF7-82A2-ED0A85DEBF6E.jpg

23CAB062-48AC-4473-B90D-E76A0F8C712B.jpg

My pleasure, Frankie. Hopefully our Club will get back to the standards, tradition & success that these two men epitomised.

Correct.

I find it fascinating that in a period where PR was probably not a priority, the honesty from club communications seem much more agreeable than the spin we have to navigate now.

Guest Bob Agg

McCandless & our other Ulsterman, Bert Manderson ( Manderson was the first Irishman to Captain Rangers) formed a formidable partnership at the back.

It's not a song that readily springs to mind but I'll be on the lookout for it from now on!