Rangers Youth Development Fund rebrands

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9624-development-fund-rebrands

Friday, 17 July 2015 12:30

Development Fund Rebrands

Written by Rangers Football Club

67b67dad997f4941f0f9d5fa59617a1e_XL.jpg

MARK WARBURTON joined Youth Academy Head Craig Mulholland and first team star Andy Murdoch at Murray Park today to promote the rebranding of the Rangers Development Fund.

Originally established as the Rangers Development Fund (RDF) in 1964 with the sole purpose of providing funds for the Club, the organisation – which has raised over £120 million to date – will now be formally know as the Rangers Youth Development Company.

In the past, RDF revenues have provided substantial funds towards the reconstruction of the Copland, Broomloan and Govan Stands, the Ibrox PA system and the purchase of the land Murray Park is built on.

However, since 2002 all RDF profits have been directed to the Club’s youth programme and the independent company – now officially registered as the Rangers Youth Development Company – has provided more than £5.5 million to the youth department in the last decade.

The main Rangers Youth Development Company revenue generators are Rangers Lotto, Stadium Bricks, Rising Stars (half time draw) and Scratchcards.

All profits raised from these products are not available for general Club purposes and are legally ring-fenced to go directly to the youth programme to help find future stars.

A number of past and current youth players like Danny Wilson, Charlie Adam, Alan Hutton and Chris Burke have directly benefitted from RDF support and new Manager Mark Warburton – a firm believer in youth development – is delighted to support the work of the Rangers Youth Development Company.

He commented: “Youth development is a crucial part of any football club’s operation and I fully endorse and support the work of the Rangers Youth Development Company.

“I have only been at the Club a short time but I already recognise the passion and pride supporters have for Rangers and they clearly have backed the Rangers Youth Development Company for over 50 years.

“I have no doubt Rangers fans will continue to support the youth programme by taking part in a range of revenue generators like Rangers Lotto, Rising Stars and Scratchcards. I wish Colin Stewart and his team every success in the season ahead and beyond.”

Colin Stewart, the Rangers Youth Development Company Director of Operations, added: “We are delighted to rebrand as the Rangers Youth Development Company and we are passionate about supporting the Club’s youth programme in any way we can.

“We have provided £5.5 million in the last decade and with the support of the Rangers fans we will continue to provide funds for the development of players like Danny Wilson, Alan Hutton, Charlie Adam, Andy Murdoch, Ryan Hardie and Tom Walsh.

“I thank Mark, Craig and Andy for taking the time to support our relaunch and I look forward to working closely with them in the weeks, months and years ahead.

“The Rangers Youth Development Company, like the Club, is an institution and I would also like to thank the Rangers fans for their incredible backing.

“They have supported us in huge numbers for decades and I am sure we can continue to grow and help the Club’s youth department for decades to come.”

Fans can support the Rangers Youth Development Company in a variety of ways – full details on Rangers Lotto, Rising Stars, Scratchcards, Stadium Bricks and other initiatives can be found at www.rangerslotto.co.uk

I've never believed that any such cash can be properly ring-fenced for the youths.

AFAIK, the profits simply sit (ring-fenced) in the Development Fund's own bank account until enough money has accrued to make a donation to the Youth Academy. For example, after Dave King & co took control back in March the Development Fund made a donation of £150,000 to the Academy. The previous board had been trying to get the Dev' Fund money from Colin Stewart to use for day-to-day working capital and Colin wouldn't give them it.

AFAIK, the profits simply sit (ring-fenced) in the Development Fund's own bank account until enough money has accrued to make a donation to the Youth Academy. For example, after Dave King & co took control back in March the Development Fund made a donation of £150,000 to the Academy. The previous board had been trying to get the Dev' Fund money from Colin Stewart to use for day-to-day working capital and Colin wouldn't give them it.

Good for him. Robbing Bar-stewards

AFAIK, the profits simply sit (ring-fenced) in the Development Fund's own bank account until enough money has accrued to make a donation to the Youth Academy. For example, after Dave King & co took control back in March the Development Fund made a donation of £150,000 to the Academy.

...with any balance of expenditure being made up from "the club". It just means less for the club to pay over and less of a shortfall for the club elsewhere.

Given the club will not be in a situation where income is greater than expenditure, I doubt that they can be in the position of increasing expenditure on the Academy when extra funds come in.

...with any balance of expenditure being made up from "the club". It just means less for the club to pay over and less of a shortfall for the club elsewhere.

Given the club will not be in a situation where income is greater than expenditure, I doubt that they can be in the position of increasing expenditure on the Academy when extra funds come in.

I think we must be looking at it from completely different viewpoints mate. I just view it as Development Fund money helps to pay some of the Youth Academy bills and that the more people who actually support the Fund by buying the Lotto, Rising Stars etc, then the more support the Academy gets from it.

You seem to be verging on semantics, but maybe you're right. Maybe it does reduce the Academy bills for the Club, I really don't know. I'd have thought it could just as easily be the case that pitches and/or equipment gets replaced more frequently or something along those lines, but it could just as easily be more direct, like a straight £150/200k budget increase.

No matter what way you look at it though, the fund raising is surely a positive thing?

I think we must be looking at it from completely different viewpoints mate. I just view it as Development Fund money helps to pay some of the Youth Academy bills and that the more people who actually support the Fund by buying the Lotto, Rising Stars etc, then the more support the Academy gets from it.

You seem to be verging on semantics, but maybe you're right. Maybe it does reduce the Academy bills for the Club, I really don't know. I'd have thought it could just as easily be the case that pitches and/or equipment gets replaced more frequently or something along those lines, but it could just as easily be more direct, like a straight £150/200k budget increase.

No matter what way you look at it though, the fund raising is surely a positive thing?

would imagine the budgets available would rise in consideration each year and one off purchases or expenses would be highlighted as beneficiaries in the short to medium term. In the end just tricks for accountants, money goes into the youth academy one way or another, it might just be a little delayed and via emergency needs!